Procurement Card Information

  • General Information
  • How to Obtain a Card
  • How to Lose Card Privileges
  • Cancellation of a P-Card
  • Card Renewal
  • How to Report a Lost or Stolen Card
  • Shipping Address
  • Procurement Card Security
  • Cardholder Responsibilities
  • Receipt of Goods and Materials

The purpose of the Procurement Card (P-Card) Program is to establish a more efficient, cost-effective method of purchasing and paying for transactions. The program utilizes a VISA credit card to consolidate many department transactions and make one monthly payment to the sponsoring bank. The card can be used for in-store purchases as well as mail, phone, fax, or on-line orders.

  • Use of the P-Card is mandatory whenever it is accepted by vendors and is not accompanied by additional cost, such as service or transaction fees.

Your department head/supervisor must indicate approval and advise the Purchasing Office of any dollar limits imposed upon the card by filling out the P-card Application PCard Application and Agreement. Upon approval, the department will forward the agreement to the Purchasing Office. The Purchasing Office will acquire the card and facilitate cardholder training.

Any changes to the card can be made by contacting your immediate supervisor. When you receive your card, sign the back of the card immediately, call to activate it, and always keep in a secure place. Although the card is issued in your name, it is the property of the State of Kansas and is only to be used for University purchases as defined on this web page.

A cardholder will have his/her P-Card canceled or suspended due to, but not limited to, the following situations/abuses:

  • unauthorized user (i.e. someone other than the cardholder uses the card)
  • unauthorized purchases
  • chronically late transaction reconciliations
  • insufficient documentation of purchases (ex. receipts are not itemized)


When appropriate, a cardholder will be subject to the following actions when abuse of the procurement card program is discovered:

  • First offense: reminder sent to cardholder citing the infraction
  • Second offense: suspension of the P-Card for six months
  • Third offense: P-Card canceled

If a cardholder leaves a department or moves to another department, the department is responsible for retrieving and cutting up the card and contacting the Purchasing Office by e-mail to cancel the card. If a cardholder moves to another department, the new department must initiate the process to obtain a new card by completing a Business Procurement Cardholder Application and Agreement which can be found on the Purchasing Office web site, under Forms. The P-Card needs to be canceled immediately if a cardholder terminates employment.

In order to limit risk to acceptable levels, the State requires that low usage P-Cards be canceled.

A renewal card will automatically be mailed to the Purchasing Office and forwarded to all cardholders prior to expiration of the old card. This generally occurs a few weeks prior to the expiration of the old card.

If a procurement card is lost or stolen, immediately notify the Purchasing Office. If you are unable to reach the Purchasing Office, please contact UMB Bank Security at 888-494-5141.

University purchases should never be shipped to home addresses. Tax exemption could also be forfeited if items are delivered off campus. In most cases, purchases made with the PCard should use the following default shipping address:

Pittsburg State University
(Dept. Name/Contact)
300 E Lindburg
Pittsburg KS 66762

Each department needs to determine how to secure P-Cards and account numbers. In some areas it is more appropriate for individuals to carry the cards. In other areas, the cards may be stored in a secure place in the department's office. In either case, the card and account number should be secured in the same manner you would secure your personal credit card. Never send your P-Card account number to anyone via e-mail. Send your P-Card account number via secure encrypted web sites or by fax only. P-Cards should only be used by the cardholder whose name appears on the card.

The purpose of the Procurement Card program (P-Card) is to provide an efficient, cost-effective method of paying for most department transactions. This program is designed to reduce the number of checks the University writes to vendors and for personal reimbursements. The P-Card can be used for in-store purchases, as well as mail, phone, fax or internet orders.

This section provides the guidelines under which you may use your procurement card. Please read it carefully. Your signature on the P-Card Agreement and acceptance of the PCard indicates that you understand the intent of the program and agree to read and familiarize yourself with important information on its use as outlined in this document and to adhere to the established guidelines.

Accurate record keeping is essential for the success of the program. Standard payment policies require retention of itemized, detailed receipts, and other documentation. As with any charge card, you must retain sales slips, cash register receipts, order forms and receiving documents.

The cardholder is responsible for ensuring receipt of goods and materials and will follow-up with the vendor to resolve any delivery problems, discrepancies and damaged goods. 

For telephone, catalog and on-line orders, make sure complete shipping address and instructions are given along with your name (e.g., name, department name, 300 E. Lindburg St., city, state, zip code). When ordering on-line be sure to save a copy of your completed order form. 

If goods or materials are ordered by phone, ask the vendor to include a detailed sales receipt in the package, and explain we are a tax exempt organization. Save the credit card receipt and shipping document.

  • Record Keeping, Reconciliation & Approval
  • Allowable Purchases
  • Procedures & Guidelines for Travel Expenses
  • Departmental Responsibilities
  • Reconciliation and Approval Process
  • How to Audit a Procurement Card Transaction
  • Payments/Account Distribution Process
  • Fraudulent Charges, Errors, Disputes, Returns and Credits
  • Sales and Use Tax

To facilitate the reconciliation and approval process, the cardholder is responsible for keeping all invoices, credit card slips, cash register receipts, packing slips, etc. All documentation should be kept together and forwarded to the reconciler. Please note - each department may have different approval processes. Cardholders have 30 days from the date of purchases to reconcile purchase by completing an expense report.

The cardholder's immediate supervisor must review and approve (sign) the cardholder's procurement card reconciliation even if the cardholder is the authorized signature on the accounts, except for departments with an Accountant.

For departments with an Accountant, all procurement cards will be reconciled, reviewed, and approved (signed) by the Accountant. If the Accountant has a procurement card, the Accountant's immediate supervisor will review and approve (sign) the Accountant procurement card reconciliation. 

If you require additional transaction information concerning a charge on a card, please contact the Purchasing Office.

Most cardholders have a monthly purchase limit of $5000 and a transaction limit of $2000. Purchases in excess of $5000 must be bid by the Purchasing Office. Once approved, the cardholder will be given temporary approval to complete the transaction on the P-Card. 

All purchases for commodities which are covered by State or PSU Contracts must be made from contract suppliers. A few of those contract vendors are Staples (office supplies); Cartridge King (toner cartridges), Grainger (industrial supplies); CDW-G, Gov-Connection (computer supplies); Fisher Scientific, VWR (lab supplies); Enterprise (vehicle rental); SHI (software); and Dell, and Apple (computers). Items available through the "Kansas Industries for the Blind and Handicapped" catalog must be purchased from participating vendors. (Cartridge King, Envision, etc.).

Purchases must be for the use and benefit of the University. NO PERSONAL PURCHASES ARE ALLOWED.

Some vendor types have been blocked from usage with the P-Card. If you present your card to any of these merchants, the transaction will be declined. If you are declined and feel the decline should not have occurred, please contact the Purchasing Office during normal business hours.

Examples of vendor codes that have been blocked are:

  • Package liquor store
  • Insurance services
  • Restaurants

Examples of vendor codes that might be blocked:

  • Hotels and motels
  • Car rental agencies
  • Airlines
  • Travel agencies
  • Gas stations

Merchants are generally paid by UMB Bank within three days of your business transaction. Please request merchant to give a detailed description of goods, not just "miscellaneous".

P-Cards are NOT intended:

  • To avoid or bypass appropriate procurement or payment procedures
  • For cash advances
  • For gift cards

Purchases may be made from England, Canada and Australia without prior approval from UMB, but purchases from other countries do required pre-approval.

You are responsible for the security of your P-Card and transactions made against it. The card is issued in your name and any purchases made against the card will be your responsibility. Use of P-Cards not in accordance with guidelines established guidelines may result in personal liability. Remember, you are committing University funds each time you use a P-Card.

The Business Office assists all university personnel with travel policies and reimbursements.

  • University personnel may be required to travel in fulfilling their official duty or in attending seminars or other professional or educational activities benefiting the University. Travel authorization is given in most instances by the Chairperson of the Department or by the appropriate administrator prior to travel. It is the policy of Pittsburg State University that any University employee traveling on University business shall submit a Travel Request Form (T-Form) for those trips exceeding $1000 in total estimated expenses. Please remind all department personnel that per a policy approved by the President's Council, trips exceeding $1000 require a T-Form to be completed and submitted to the Business Office prior to processing payment for travel-related expenditures.

The following travel expenses will be allowed on P-Cards:

  • Airfare & associated charges
  • Lodging
    • Must follow state allowed rates.
    • Lodging in Kansas, Missouri, and North Dakota is tax exempt for state sales taxes (you may be charged for the other lodging taxes). If you are charged state sales tax in these states, it is your responsibility to obtain credit.
    • If using a P-Card for lodging, all personal charges (i.e. room service, movies, etc.) must be paid with a personal credit card. The hotel clerk should be instructed to use the personal credit card for the personal charges. If personal charges are accidentally paid on a P-Card, the traveler must reimburse those expenses as soon as they return from their trip.
  • Tolls
  • Business calls
  • Business Internet charges
  • Parking
  • Rental car
  • Rental car fuel (not fuel for your personal vehicle)

Each traveler is recommended to have a PCard in their own name.

  • Exceptions will be allowed for infrequent travelers. In such cases, they may use the department's P-Card for airfare, lodging, and rental car if the cardholder approves the use of the card. The cardholder is responsible for making sure the traveler follows all guidelines and the card is subject to the below listed consequences for personal use as well as P-Card guidelines.
  • Students are considered to be infrequent travelers.
  • Candidates' and non-employees' (i.e. speakers) airfare, lodging, and rental car expenses can be charged to the department's P-Card.

Non-Approved Travel Expenses

  • Any personal charges accidentally paid through the P-Card must be immediately reimbursed. The traveler will not be reimbursed any allowable expenses until the personal portion is reimbursed to PSU. The personal portion will not be withheld from the traveler's allowed reimbursable expenses.
  • The P-Card cannot be used for the purchase of fuel in personal vehicles (rental car fuel only), even if traveling on official business. Fuel for personal vehicles must be claimed for reimbursement on a Travel Expense Detail Form.
  • If there are personal travel expenses paid via P-Card, please notify the Purchasing Office as soon as possible. The offenses are on a per-trip basis and the following consequences may apply:
    • First offense- reminder sent to the cardholder to not charge personal expense to the P-Card
    • Second offense- lose ability to charge travel expenses to the P-Card for two months
    • Third offense- lose ability to charge travel expenses to the P-Card permanently
  • Regular P-Card guidelines must be followed (itemized, detailed receipts, turning in receipts timely, etc) and consequences for not following them are applicable. Travel expenses may not be paid through the P-Card during the time it is inactive due to noncompliance with regular P-Card guidelines.

Procedures for Canceled Travel

  • If a trip was canceled for personal reasons, the traveler must reimburse those expenses paid in advance with the P-Card. If an airfare credit is obtained; the traveler must reimburse PSU for the credit in addition to any amount not credited.
  • If a trip was canceled for business reasons, due to emergency, or medical reasons, the traveler will not be responsible for those expenses paid in advance with the P-Card. Any airfare credits not applied directly to the P-Card should be presented back to the department to be used on the traveler's next trip.

The department head/supervisor determines who is eligible for a P-Card, and authorizes cardholder limits. The department head/supervisor will audit and approve procurement card purchases, and ensure proper paperwork is maintained in the department.

Original receipts will need to be maintained in the department for the prior fiscal year and the current fiscal year.

A potential cardholder is directed to Procurement Card Information on the Purchasing Office web page and sent the Business Procurement Cardholder Application and Agreement. The department head/supervisor should complete the Departmental Approval and Credit Limit Request section of the Agreement to establish initial limits that will apply to the card. Once approved, send the original to the Purchasing Office.

If a cardholder leaves a department or moves to another department, the department is responsible for retrieving and cutting up the card and contacting the Purchasing Office by e-mail to cancel the card. If a cardholder moves to another department, the new department must initiate the process to obtain a new card by completing a Business Procurement Cardholder Application and Agreement which can be found on the Purchasing Office web site, under "Forms". The P-Card needs to be canceled immediately if a cardholder terminates employment.

Each department needs to determine how to secure P-Cards and account numbers. In some areas it is more appropriate for individuals to carry the cards. In other areas, the cards may be stored in a secure place in the department's office.

If changes in the limits established on the card or other elements (other than cardholder name or department) are required, contact the Purchasing Office.

The assigned reconciler is responsible for entering transactions in GUS Cloud. Funding and descriptions should be determined before entering transactions and submitting them for workflow approvals. Cardholders and reconcilers have 30 days from the date of purchases to reconcile purchase by completing an expense report

Backup documentation for a purchase should be presented and scanned prior to entering a transaction into GUS Cloud. Only itemized, detailed receipts will be used for P-Card reconciliations. Any charge without an itemized, detailed receipt will be required to complete a Lost Receipt Verification Form.

Note any overcharges or sales tax charged and work directlly with the vendor to obtain credit. Credits show up in the GUS Cloud and are tied to the original transaction. Documentation should be attached to the original requisition whenever possible.

Check Packing slip for freight terms. On contract items, freight terms must agree with the contract terms. If inappropriate purchases appear, the employee should supply a justification. In addition, steps should be taken to return the goods or the employee should pay the vendor directly.

Bank transactions will be added to the electronic logs on a daily basis. GUS Cloud transactions should be entered and reconciled on a regular basis throughout the month.

Transactions will be reviewed on a regular basis. If additional information is required, the reconciler will be contacted in a timely manner for resolution. Any discrepancies and/or disputes with a bank transaction should be communicated to the Purchasing Office as soon as they are discovered.

The cardholder is responsible for contacting and following up with the vendor on any erroneous charges, disputed items or returns as soon as possible. (Most issues can be resolved this way.)

In regards to fraudulent charges or any other unresolved charges, the cardholder or reconciler will complete a "Transaction Dispute Form" and fax it as soon as possible to the Purchasing Office to forward to UMB Bank for resolution with the vendor. The disputed charge will need to be funded on the log and the description should read, "Disputed Charge". When a credit is given for the disputed charge, the reconciler will use the same funding and the description should read, "Credit of Disputed Charge from person and transaction date."

The bank must be notified of any disputed items within 60 days of the last cycle in which the item was purchased. The cycle closes on the third business day of each month. Disputed billing can result from failure to receive goods or materials, fraud or misuse, altered charges, defective merchandise, incorrect amounts, duplicate charges, credits not processed, etc. In the event of fraud, notify the Purchasing Office immediately.

Pittsburg State University, as an agency of the State of Kansas, is exempt from paying Kansas sales or use tax per KSA 79-3606(b). This applies to all university department purchases, except those made with 844 funding (primarily student organizations). The University's tax exempt certificate number appears on the front of the procurement card. BE SURE TO REMIND THE VENDOR OF THE UNIVERSITY'S TAX EXEMPT STATUS WHEN MAKING A PURCHASE. If a Tax Exempt Certificate is needed, please contact the Purchasing Office for a copy of the Kansas tax exempt certificate. For purchases physically made in Missouri, Texas and North Dakota, you will be required to present a copy of the university's tax-exempt certificate for that state. If a vendor does charge tax and it is over $5.00, specifiy the amount and that credit is pending in the description. Work directly with the vendor to obtain a correction. Sales tax less than $5.00 does not have to be credited back, but is recommended.