General Information

University support staff employees should request a leave without pay when they will be absent from work and will not be using accumulated sick or vacation leave or compensatory time. The appropriate Vice President or Department Head (President's Division) must approve a leave without pay that extends beyond thirty (30) calendar days.

A university support staff employee who is probationary because of an original appointment may request leave for up to sixty (60) calendar days. An extension of the leave may also be requested. The total duration of the leave may not exceed six (6) months.

A university support staff employee with permanent status may request a leave for a reasonable time consistent with the fulfillment of the duties of Pittsburg State University. The leave without pay may not exceed one (1) year.

Requesting Leave Without Pay

Leave without pay may be requested for the following reasons:

  • for childbearing, illness, or temporary disabilities; or
  • for the birth or adoption of a child, or for the initial placement of a foster child in your home; or
  • to care for a family member who has a serious health condition; or
  • for other good and sufficient reason.

Family member, defined in K.A.R. 1-9-5(e), is limited to persons related to you by blood, marriage, or adoption, and minors residing in your residence as a result of court proceedings pursuant to the Kansas code for care of children or the Kansas juvenile offenders code.

The employee should send a memo through their supervisor to the appropriate Vice President or Department Head (President's Division) if the request is for more than thirty (30) days.

In making that determination, the appropriate Vice President or Department Head (President's Division) shall determine whether approval of the request is for the good of the service.

If the request is for an illness or injury, the employee must also complete an FMLA Leave Request Form. The patient must complete an Authorization for Release of Medical Information and give to their health care provider with an FMLA Certification of Health Care Provider. All forms are returned to HRS. See also FMLA Leave.

An approved leave without pay can be terminated if the interests of the service make it necessary. To end an approved leave, the appropriate Vice President or Department Head (President's Division) must give you written notice at least two weeks before the end date. You may return from leave on an earlier date than originally scheduled with approval of the appropriate Vice President or Department Head (President's Division).

When you return from a leave of absence, you will be placed in a position in the same class as the position which you held at the time the leave was granted, or in another class in the same salary range for which you meet the qualifications.

Note: A leave without pay for more than 30 consecutive calendar days will affect the dates used to determine longevity pay, satisfaction of the waiting period for participation in KPERS and years of service at PSU and the State of Kansas.

Reporting Leave Without Pay


Please refer to the appropriate GUS HR Training Resources document for instructions on how to report this type of leave.

Page revision date: 08/03/2018