Student FAQ's

Student FAQ's
  • What is University Counseling Services (UCS)?
  • What if I am in crisis?
  • Who is eligible for services at the UCS?
  • Where is the UCS located?
  • What’s parking like near the Counseling Services building?
  • Is the building wheelchair accessible?
  • What are your hours?
  • How do I schedule an appointment?
  • Can I schedule an appointment for someone else?
  • What can I expect in counseling?
  • Does UCS accept insurance?
  • What should I expect at my first appointment?
  • What about confidentiality?
  • Do you have student or professional staff? Is your staff licensed?
  • How long are sessions?
  • What support is possible at the end of the semester?
  • Can I get a letter from your office?
  • Does UCS provide career counseling?
  • Do you provide couples therapy?
  • Are there services provided besides individual therapy?
  • Are there limits to services you provide?
  • What kinds of problems do students present when they come to UCS?
  • Do students have to wait very long to be seen?
  • What is the email policy at UCS?
  • Do you have self-help materials?

UCS is the primary mental health center on the Pittsburg State University campus.

UCS offers crisis services Monday – Friday, 8:00 – 4:00. If you are a PSU student and need to speak with someone immediately, a staff member at UCS will be available for assistance.  Students can call UCS at (620) 235-4452 or walk to the Bryant Student Health Center. If the Bryant Student Health Center is closed, call (620) 232-SAVE (7283) for a local 24/7 crisis line or 1-800-273-TALK (8255) for the National Suicide Lifeline. 

If there is an imminent risk of physical harm to you or someone else, please call 911.

Any student currently enrolled at Pittsburg State University is eligible for services. Student spouse coverage is available upon paying an eligibility fee. Services are not available to other dependents. 


During summer break, students enrolled in courses are eligible for services. Students not enrolled in summer courses are required to pay a onetime summer health fee. Regular pricing for services apply after paying the summer health fee. If you were not enrolled in the spring semester or the upcoming fall semester, you will not be eligible for services.


Faculty and staff are eligible for an initial appointment with USC and can receive assistance with referral services.

UCS is housed in the Bryant Student Health Center. The Bryant Student Health Center is located on the corner or Broadway and Ford St.


Bryant Student Health Center

1801 South Broadway St.

Pittsburg, KS 66762

We offer patient-only parking during our open hours (8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.). These spots are located immediately outside of the Bryant Student Health Center (which houses UCS).

Yes, the Bryant Student Health Center, including UCS, is wheelchair accessible.

Regular hours:

Monday – Friday, 8:00 A.M. – 4:00 P.M.


Summer hours:

Monday – Thursday, 8:00 A.M. – 4:00 P.M.; Friday, 8:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. 

To make an appointment with UCS, either call (620-235-4452) or see the front desk at the Bryant Student Health Center during open hours.  You'll receive an email reminder of your appointment time two days prior to the appointment. Be sure to confirm your appointment time in this email. If you’ve opted in for text message reminders, you’ll receive a text reminder one hour before your appointment time as well.

Going to counseling is a personal choice, though it may be helpful for friends, family or faculty to encourage a student to speak to a counselor. Take these points into consideration when talking to a student about going to counseling:

  • Have a conversation, approach the student with empathy, and be ready to listen.

  • Avoid criticizing or sounding judgmental.

  • Inform the student that all information shared in counseling is confidential and will not be reflected on their academic record.

  • Be sure the student understands that counseling services are used by many students.

  • Inform the student that there is no charge for the first appointment, and they can speak to a counselor once without making a commitment to ongoing therapy.

  • Suggest the student visit our website to familiarize him or herself to counseling and the services we offer.    

While attending counseling at UCS, expect your counselor to:

  • Listen to your concerns without judgement.

  • Help put your thoughts and feelings into words, assist in setting and meeting personal goals, present a different perspective on your situation, provide you with new ways of coping and may provide direct suggestions.

  • Keep information disclosed during your session confidential.

  • Discuss limits to confidentiality. See confidentiality to learn more.

  • Communicate with Student Health Services (SHS) medical staff to initiate pharmacological treatment, if necessary.

The Bryant Student Health Center will not provide claim submission for third party billing to insurance companies.  Upon request, a receipt with all necessary information can be provided for the student or employee to file themselves for reimbursement from their insurance company. 

The first appointment is an opportunity for your counselor to learn more about you and your concerns. Here is what to expect:

  • Your initial appointment with UCS will last roughly 60 – 90 minutes.

  • You and your counselor will work together to clarify your concerns and goals.

  • Your counselor will likely ask questions about your personal and medical history to gain an understanding of your background. It’s a good idea to give advanced thought about your medical history before you arrive to your first appointment.

  • Your counselor may ask you to complete questionnaires to gather information about mental health symptoms you might be experiencing.

  • You’ll be encouraged to actively participate in determining the services that may be most helpful to accomplish your goals or relieve symptoms.

Student health information is confidential and jointly maintained by University Counseling Services (UCS) and Student Health Services (SHS) electronically. Student health information is accessible and exchanged between UCS and the SHS for the purpose of coordinating care. PSU does not release private health information about a student without that student's written permission, except in the case of imminent danger to themselves or others, child/dependent abuse, court order, or where otherwise required by law. Notations of counseling services are not part of a student's academic record at PSU.

The staff at UCS are licensed by the Kansas Behavioral Sciences Regulatory Board. UCS also offers nutritional counseling from a registered dietitian. In addition, UCS is a practicum and internship training site for advanced graduate students. All practicum and internship students work under the supervision of the licensed personnel of UCS and their faculty advisor.

Many problems can be addressed using a brief, solution-focused approach, often requiring only a few visits; however, more serious concerns may necessitate more sessions. Sessions typically last between 30 – 60 minutes, but depend on the needs of the student. Your first appointment is 90 minutes to allow counselors enough time to gather all relevant information. 

During summer break, students enrolled in courses are eligible for services. Students not enrolled in summer courses are required to pay a onetime summer health fee. Regular pricing for services apply after paying the summer health fee. If you were not enrolled in the spring semester or the upcoming fall semester, you will not be eligible for services.

UCS provides letters to PSU students; we ask that you set up a consultation with UCS staff to let us know how we can help you. Examples of letters we typically provide include:

  • Verification of services

  • Supportive documentation for financial aid appeals

  • Student accommodations-related matters.

*UCS no longer provides letters for emotional support animals*

While UCS does provide career counseling services, we recommend checking out the Career Services office on campus where career counseling is provided on a regular basis.  The Career Services office also has resources to assist with resume building and sharpening interview skills through mock interviews. The Office of Career Services is located in 202 & 203 Horace-Mann, and can be reached by telephone at (620) 235-4140. To make an appointment with a career counselor, call: (620) 235-4145.

Yes, couples therapy is a service offered at UCS, however, both individuals who make up the couple, must be current PSU students.

In addition to individual therapy, UCS provides couples therapy, psychological assessment services, substance abuse evaluations, and nutritional services with a dietician from the Crawford County Health Department.  The UCS also provides mental health education, outreach, and consultation to PSU students, faculty, and staff, and is a practicum and internship site for graduate students in the Department of Psychology and Counseling.  

Depending on the severity of the mental illness, there may be some instances when students will be referred to an outside agency to obtain necessary treatment.  While we do offer substance abuse evaluations, some substance-related illnesses may merit the student seeking services at an addiction treatment center.

University students normally encounter various stressors during their college experience.  Sessions are offered to help students with a variety of problem areas such as:

  • Anxiety and/or Stress

  • Attention Difficulties

  • Depression

  • Eating Disorders/Body Image Concerns

  • Grief/Loss

  • Interpersonal Difficulties

  • Low Motivation

  • Low Self-Esteem

  • Panic

  • Sleep Difficulties

  • Substance Misuse/Abuse

  • Trauma, including sexual assault

Typically the waiting period at UCS is fairly short.  Depending on a student’s availability, most can be seen within a week of contacting UCS.

If you are needing to contact the UCS, it is best to walk in or call the front desk of the Bryant Student Health Center at (620) 235-4452, anytime between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.  While we do have a contact email address,, emails sent to this address will be monitored by an office personnel, and will not be responded to by your therapist.  Our confidentiality policy at UCS, does not permit therapists and clients to communicate with one another via email.

Yes, the UCS does have self-help materials available.  We have self-help books and relaxation CD’s available for students to check out at the front desk of the Bryant Student Health Center.  In addition, we offer recommendations on helpful websites and applications for your electronic device located under the “Resources” section of our website.