Graduate Assistantships


  • Teaching (Full Time)
  • Teaching (Part Time)
  • Administrative (Full Time)
  • Administrative (Part Time)
  • Research (Full Time)
  • Research (Part Time)
  • work 20 hours/week
  • tuition and fees waived
  • academic tuition and fees waived for up to 6 credit hours during the following summer term
  • $275 stipend per bi-weekly pay period*
    ($2750 per semester)

*some departments may pay a higher stipend

  • work 10 hours/week
  • half of tuition waived
  • student is responsible for remaining half of tuition assessed at their residency rate and all fees
  • $137.50 stipend per bi-weekly pay period*
    ($1375 per semester)

*some departments may pay a higher stipend

  • work 20 hours/week
  • tuition assessed at in-state rate
  • fees waived
  • paid hourly rate of $15.07
  • work 10 hours/week
  • paid at the hourly rate of $15.07
  • work 20 hours/week
  • tuition and fees waived as grant allows
  • paid at the hourly rate of $15.07, or as grant allows
  • work 10 hours/week
  • tuition and fees waived as grant allows
  • paid at the hourly rate of $15.07, or as grant allows

All full-time graduate assistants have the opportunity to purchase student insurance at 25% of the cost. The University will pay the remaining 75%. For more information regarding student insurance, please contact Debbie Amershek in Human Resource Services (damershe@pittstate.edu, 620.235.4187).

 

All graduate assistants:

  • Must be admitted to a graduate degree program.
  • Must be up-to-date with graduate school requirements.
  • Must enroll in and complete at least 6 hours of graduate credit at the 700 or 800 level that are required for the degree and will be on the student's candidacy. Enrollment should not exceed 12 credit hours without permission.
  • Eligible students must have no more than 9 foundation hours remaining to complete and must be enrolled in 6 of those remaining hours the first semester of their appointment.

In addition, International graduate assistants:

  • Must have approval to work in the U.S.
  • For Teaching positions, must have earned a score of at least 22 in the speaking section of the TOEFL.
  • Must enroll in and complete at least 9 credit hours, 6 hours of which must be at the 700 or 800 level and be required for the degree and on the students cadidacy.

Students with summer assistantships:

  • Must be enrolled in at least 3 hours of required graduate credit during the summer or be pre-enrolled for required hours of enrollement for the fall semester.

Policies


Graduate Assistantship Opportunities


The following departments or offices may have open positions.

Below is a complete listing of university departments and offices who may have an open graduate assistant position. Inclusion on this list does not necessarily mean a position is available.

  • Graduate Teaching Assistant
  • Graduate Administrative Assistant

Accounting & Computer Information Systems

Rachel VanBecelaere

620-235-4561

Automotive Technology

John Thompson

620-235-6516

Biology

Kelly Borden

620-235-4731

University Strategic Initiatives

Mary Louise Widmar

620-235-6092

Kelce College of Business

Mimi Morrison

620-235-4591

Campus Recreation

Mary Wolfe

620-235-6565

Center for Teaching, Learning and Technology

Donna Jacobs

620-235-4840

Chemistry

Linda Hoesli

620-235-4748

Communication

Kristi Geier

620-235-4063

Construction Mgmt & Construction

Janelle Cowan

620-235-6555

Economics, Finance and Banking

Irene Robinson

620-235-4547

Teaching and Leadership

Tracey Mussa

620-235-6105

College of Education

Karen Lasota

620-235-4517

Engineering Technology

Angela Ashmore

620-235-4350

English

Shannon Spear

620-235-4689

Graphics and Imaging Technologies

Donna Martin

620-235-4399

Health, Human Performance, Recreation

Susan Downing

620-235-4986

History, Philosophy and Social Sciences

Nancy Grantham

620-235-4944

International Programs and Services

Vickie Mense

620-235-4680

Management and Marketing

Bienvenido Cortes

620-235-4594

Mathematics

Suzanne Lindsay

620-235-4400

Modern Languages and Literature

Shannon Spear

620-235-4689

Music

Kimberly Harries

620-235-4466

Nursing

Peggy Totman

620-235-4431

Physics

Linda Hoesli

620-235-4391

Psychology and Counseling

Carol Oehme

620-235-4522

College of Technology

Lori Hall

620-235-4351

Technology and Workforce Learning

Tish Potter

620-235-4261

Admissions

Jill Allen

620-235-4129

Office of Institutional Effectiveness

Nora Hatton

620-235-4132

Career Services

Brandi Boswell

620-235-4140

College of Arts and Sciences

Edith Rammage

620-235-4684

Graduate and Continuing Studies

Barbara McCarley

620-235-4224

Enrollment Management and Student Success

Bryonni Ferguson

620-235-4109

Financial Assistance

Marty White

620-235-4256

Library

Betty Geier

620-235-4879

Internal Auditor

La Donna Flynn

620-235-6167