Complaint Process for Out of State Students

In accordance with the U.S. Department of Education Program Integrity Rule, 34 C.F.R. Part 600.9, the Kansas Board of Regents has adopted a process to review the appropriately act on student complaints concerning the six state universities.

If you as a student have a complaint about PSU’s distance education programs, please contact the Director of Institutional Equity & Title IX Coordinator at or call 620-235-4189, to help you with the grievance process. More information about this process.

If after exhausting all available institutional processes a student’s complaint remains unresolved, the student may make a complaint to the Kansas Board of Regent’s office, in writing, by completing and submitting a complaint form ( for university student complaints.

Out of State residents living in SARA* states: Out of state students residing in a SARA state and enrolling in a distance education offered by Pittsburg State University may file a complaint to the Kansas Board of Regents (KBOR) by using the KBOR SARA Complaint Form (

Follow this link for a list of SARA* states.

Students may also make a complaint to the Higher Learning Commission (

Pittsburg State University (PSU) is accredited by:
The Higher Learning Commission
230 South LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500
Chicago, Illinois 60604-1411
Phone: 800-621-7440 or 312-263-0456
Fax: 312-263-7462 

In most cases, these complaint procedures require the student to exhaust all complaint avenues internal to the institution before a complaint can be filed at the state or accrediting agency level. PSU students are advised to first attempt to resolve complaints with PSU administration.

For more information please contact:
Pittsburg State University Office of the Provost
220 Russ Hall
Pittsburg State University
1701 South Broadway
Pittsburg KS 66762-7554
hone: 620-235-4113
Fax: 620-235-6192