General Information

  • Degree Certification
  • Class Admission
  • Normal Academic Load
  • International Students
  • Non-Degree Seeking Students
  • Enrollment in Upper Division Courses
  • Withdrawal from the University
  • Withdrawal from the University
  • Pass-Fail Enrollment Procedure
  • Audit
  • Registration for and Admission to Teacher Education
  • Professional Semester Required
  • Return of Title IV Funds Policy
  • Parking on Campus
  • Abbreviations Used in Class Schedule
  • Vietnam Fee Waiver
  • Degrees Conferred

When a student is within the Academic Year of graduating, the student should apply for an official degree check in the Degree Checking Office, Room 102 Russ Hall, or by selecting the request prompt at the end of the GUS audit. Application must be made for the degree by the GUS audit prompt or on an approved form in the Degree Checking Office. The student's permanent record and current enrollment will be examined in detail to assess progress toward the degree objective. An Official Audit is sent to the student following the record analysis outlining specific requirements which must be met before a degree may be granted. A copy of this audit is sent to the student's advisor.

An automated degree audit is available through the on line Web based enrollment system to all undergraduates and their advisors at the time of early enrollment each semester. The degree audit lists all requirements to be met for the degree, major and minor as selected by the student.

Admission will not be allowed in any course for which official enrollment has not been made.

All undergraduate students are expected to consult with their advisors not only during enrollments, but during any changes requiring a drop or add.  For fee purposes, undergraduate students pay a flat rate at 10 or more hours.  Academically, undergraduate students are considered full time at 12 hours with a normal academic load being between 15 and 16 hours during the Spring and Fall semesters.    A graduate student is considered full time at 9 hours during the Spring and Fall semesters for fee purposes as well as academic  purposes.   Total recommended academic load includes both on and off campus enrollment. Academic loads in excess of these recommended loads should be taken only after careful consultation by the student with the advisor.

The typical load for full-time graduate students is 9-12 semester hours. For full-time students who are full-time graduate assistants, the typical load is twelve semester hours and no less than nine semester hours. Full-time students may also hold part-time graduate assistantships.

Students enrolling in 8 semester hours or less are considered part-time graduate students. For part-time students who are part-time graduate assistants, the maximum load is no more than six semester hours or less than four semester hours. Part-time students may not be full-time graduate assistants.

Any exceptions to this regulation must have the approval of the major advisor and the Dean of Graduate Studies.

All international students are required by the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) to be full-time students. The INS requires undergraduate students to complete at least 12 hours each fall and spring semester to maintain their student status. Graduate students must complete at least nine hours to maintain their student status. When a student fails to maintain his/her INS student status, it can result in many lost benefits for the student. Students may be less than full-time their final (graduating) semester.
Non-degree seeking students who have an active application on file through the undergraduate or graduate office, may enroll through the Registrar's Office by calling 620-235-4200, email, or visiting the office in 103 Russ Hall. Please provide the course number, title, and time. Students who have not attended Pittsburg State for more than three semesters or are changing from undergraduate to graduate studies or vice versa, will need to apply for admission to initiate the enrollment process.

Students shall enroll for courses in an orderly sequence that recognizes the interdependence and progression of the acquisition of knowledge. Therefore, students must meet prerequisites as identified by the faculty for specified courses and must meet grade point requirements for admission to upper division courses as follows:

  1. Courses numbered 700-799 require 170 grade points. (For master's students primarily; with enrollment of less than 50% undergraduate students.)
  2. Courses numbered 800-899 require admission to graduate study.
  3. Courses numbered 900-999 require admission to post-graduate studies or admission to the Master of Business Administration program.

Change of Enrollment (Drop and Add)

If it is necessary for you to change your schedule after you have turned in your enrollment materials, you may drop and add courses through any computer connected to your GUS account or through the Registrar's Office at 620-235-4200.  Please check the Enrollment deadlines found under "Enroll for Spring" found on the Registrar's homepage.

A student who does not officially withdraw from a course or the university will be given an F grade in the course or courses concerned.

F grades given for courses as a result of withdrawing from the university will be included in computation of the grade point average.

Exceptions to this policy may be appealed through the Withdrawal Appeals Board.

Withdrawals from the university are initiated through the Office of the Registrar Room 103 Russ Hall. If you find it necessary to leave school during the semester, be sure that the official withdrawal has been made; otherwise, F grades will be recorded on your permanent record for the semester due to unofficial withdrawal.
  1. Obtain an application for enrollment under the pass-fail system from the Registrar's Office.
  2. Complete the application, sign the application, and have your advisor sign the application if your enrollment is approved.
  3. Take the completed application to the Registrar's Office.
  4. The application must be received by the Registrar no later than the last day for adding classes.  Please check the Enrollment deadlines found under "Enroll for Spring" found on the Registrar's homepage.
  5. Refer to the regulations governing the pass-fail system of grading in the University Catalog.
Students may audit classes by obtaining an audit enrollment from the Registrar's Office, Room 103 Russ Hall. Auditors must receive permission from the instructor of a course in order to be permitted to audit. Auditors are permitted on a space available basis. All persons who audit courses are admitted as listeners only. They are not entitled to any instructional privileges in any form and may not participate in the class activities except as listeners. No official record is made of audit enrollments. Students may not audit courses offered through Continuing Studies.

Students enrolled in teacher preparation programs or who wish to explore interest in teacher preparation should register with the College of Education during the first semester of the freshman year or as soon thereafter as their interest and plans make such registration appropriate. (See Director of Teacher Selection, 110 Hughes Hall.) Information concerning preparation and requirements is supplied at this time.

Laboratory experiences are required for all students preparing to teach and normally begin in the sophomore year.

By the close of the sophomore year for on-campus students and the beginning of the junior year for transfer students, application for admission to teacher education must be accomplished (Room 110 Hughes Hall).

Students enrolled in the regular academic year who are preparing to teach, either elementary or secondary, are required to take the professional semester program. See University Catalog for criteria for admission to the professional semester.

Students who wish to enroll in the Professional Education Semester must submit an application and be accepted during the preceding term. Application is made to the Director of Teacher Selection, Room 110 Hughes Hall. Advisors should make certain that the permit has been obtained before giving final approval to the student's proposed program.

Students need to be cautioned under this new policy. Students who totally withdraw after receiving Title IV assistance in many cases will have to repay a portion of the funds received. The financial aid office recalculates federal* financial aid eligibility for students who withdraw, drop out, or are dismissed prior to completing 60% of a semester. Recalculation is based on the percent of earned aid using the following formula:

Percent earned = Number of days completed up to the withdrawal date** divided by total days in the semester.

Federal financial aid is returned to the federal government based on the percent of unearned aid using the following formula:

Aid to be returned = (100% - percent earned above) times the amount of aid disbursed toward institutional charges. Institutional charges are: tuition, fees, on-campus room and board.

When aid is returned, the student may owe a debit balance to the University and/or Department of Education Title IV Programs. If a student owes a debit balance to the Department of Education, payment arrangements will have to be made with the Department.

*Federal financial aid includes the Federal Pell Grant, SEOG Grant, Perkins Loan, FFEL Stafford Student Loan, and PLUS Loan.

**Withdrawal Date is defined as the actual date the student began the institution's withdrawal process through the Registrar's Office, the student's last date of recorded attendance or the midpoint of the semester for a student who leaves without notifying the institution.

All campus parking shall be restricted to vehicles with permits. Application may be made for a parking permit at or in person at PSU Police and Public Safety Services, Shirk Hall, 1501 S. Joplin, Pittsburg, KS. The cost of the parking permit is included with tuition fees.

The Parking and Traffic Rules and Regulations can be found at or a copy can be obtained from the PSU Police Department.

AL - Axe Library
BH - Bowen Hall
FAM - Family & Consumer Sciences Building
FTS - Ft. Scott
GH - Grubbs Academic Building
HA - Hartman Hall
HH - Hughes Hall
HM - Horace Mann
HW - Heckert Wells
JOP - Joplin
KCM - Kansas City Metro Center
KLC - Kelce Center
KTC - Kansas Technology Center
MH - McCray Hall
MI - Mitchell Hall
MP - McPherson Nurse Ed. Building
MC - Mt. Carmel Med. Center
MRCY - Mercy Hospital
PH - Porter Hall
RH - Russ Hall
SC - Overman Student Center
SH- Shirk Hall
SJ - St. John's Hospital
SRC-Student Recreation Center
TBA - To Be Announced
WE - Weede Phys. Ed. Building
WH - Whitesitt Hall
WI - Willard Hall
YH - Yates Hall
MWF - Monday, Wednesday, Friday
MW - Monday and Wednesday
M-F - Monday thru Friday
M-TH - Monday thru Thursday
TUTH - Tuesday and Thursday
MTT - Monday, Tuesday, Thursday
S - Saturday
FSF - Friday, Saturday, Friday
A tuition and fee waiver is available for dependents of prisoners of war and servicemen declared missing in action; and children of veterans who died as the result of injuries suffered in the line of duty during the Vietnam Conflict. For further information, call the Kansas Veterans Commission at 913-296-3976.

Graduation and retention rates are important indicators of success for students. These rates correlate to student preparation for college level academic course work. Retention and graduation rates of Freshmen classes entering during a specific fall semester are listed below.


  07/WF 08/WF 09/WF 10/WF 11/WF 12/WF 13/WF 14/WF
Total Rate 1011 1019 1004 1079 1154 1076 1128 1042


  07/WF 08/WF 09/WF 10/WF 11/WF 12/WF 13/WF 14/WF
Total Rate 905



  07/WF 08/WF 09/WF 10/WF 11/WF 12/WF 13/WF


Total Rate 743


  07/WF 08/WF 09/WF 10/WF 11/WF
Total Rate 250



  07/WF 08/WF 09/WF 10/WF
Total Rate 415


  07/WF 08/WF 09/WF
Total Rate 487


  2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015
Total Degrees Conferred 1096 1160 1123 1176 1174 1138 1117 1206
Transfer Degrees 483 530 490 527 504 488 478 537
Transfer Rate 44.07 45.69 43.63 44.81 42.93 42.88 42.79 44.53