Parent Information

Pittsburg State University Health Services has a legal and ethical responsibility to safeguard the privacy of all patients and to protect the confidentiality of their health information. Student health information is confidential and jointly maintained by Student Health Services (SHS) and University Counseling Services (UCS) electronically. Student health information is accessible and exchanged between SHS and UCS for the purpose of coordination care. Pittsburg State University does not release private health information about a student without that student’s written permission, except in the case of imminent danger to themselves or others, child/dependent abuse, court order, or where otherwise required by law.

University administrators, faculty, parents, spouses, and partners DO NOT have access to your medical records. During the first visit to the Student Health Services, all students will be asked to fill out a telephone disclosure form. This will allow the medical staff to discuss medical information with the family or friends listed on the form.

Any student currently enrolled at Pittsburg State University is eligible for basic health care services through the Student Health Center.

The Student Health Fee, which is included in the tuition each semester, pays a partial amount of any office visit charge not covered in full by insurance or for uninsured students. Students needing special services, procedures, laboratory tests, x-rays, medications or medical supplies will be assessed at a charge customarily much less than community rates. Detailed charge descriptions are available upon request.

Continuing Studies, Visiting Scholars, Fullbright Scholars, and Fort Scott students do not typically pay the Student Health Fee with their tuition. If one of these students would like access to the health center, he/she would need to pay the Campus Privilege Fee at the Student Recreation Center.

Student Spouse Coverage is also available for a, per semester fee. Services are not available to other dependents.

SUMMER SERVICE: Students who were enrolled for the spring semester, not attending in the summer session, but pre-enrolled for the fall semester, are eligible for Health Center services for a nominal fee.

A valid PSU ID card or a valid photo ID may be required to access services at the Health Center.

Pittsburg State University Student Health Services remains committed to protecting the confidentiality of the health information that is generated as a result of utilizing our services.

Due to recent changes in the law, all patients will be presented with a Notice of Privacy Practices that describes our responsibilities and the patient's rights regarding the use and disclosure of the protected health information.

Effective April 14, 2003, each patient will be asked to sign a document that acknowledges the receipt of this notice and provide us with consent to operate accordingly.

View the Notice of Privacy Practices.


  • How can I get medical information on my child?
  • What vaccinations does my child need?
  • Where should I begin to look for my immunization records?

If your child is over the age of 18, he or she will need to sign a release of information form at the Student Health Center to give us permission to discuss their medical information with you.   We are not allowed to share their information without their permission.

Encourage your child to communicate with you about their medical care, so that the first person they want to call in a crisis is you!

If your child fills out a medical history form for us, make sure they list numbers where we can find you if there is an emergency.

Pittsburg State University has adopted an Immunization Compliance Policy to include proof of two Measles, Mumps & Rubella (MMR) for all newly enrolled students, and proof of Meningitis vaccination for all University Residential Housing students.  

For a list of recommended immunizations, refer to Immunizations/Allergy Injections.

If you or your parents do not have a record of your immunizations, we suggest you check with your personal physician, your high school or your county health department.