How to Receive Financial Aid, Including Student Loans

If you need financial aid to help pay for school, here are the steps to follow to receive aid:

File the FAFSA

Go to to file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). By filing this application, you are applying for federal and state grants, College Work Study, and student loans.

Complete the Verification Process IF Your FAFSA has been Selected

You can check to see if your FAFSA has been selected for verification by logging onto your GUS account and select "Application Status". You must submit all requested documentation as soon as possible to avoid delays in processing your financial aid.

Submit Your Online Award Letter through GUS

Once you have been notified through your GUS email that your Online Award Letter is ready to review, you can access your Award Letter 24 hours a day and submit your acceptance all through your GUS account!

Verify Your Enrollment through GUS

In order to receive your financial aid and/or scholarships, you must verify your enrollment. To verify your enrollment, log onto your GUS account and select "Verification or Enrollment for Disbursement of Funds".

Complete Your Master Promissory Note and Entrance Interview Counseling

If you choose to borrow a student loan to help pay for your educational expenses, you must complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Entrance Interview Counseling. Your loans will not be disbursed to you until these have been completed. You will not be required to complete these again for 10 years, unless you attend another school.

Verify Your Enrollment Through GUS

If you receive financial aid and/or scholarships, you are required to verify your enrollment. Here are some helpful tips for verifying:

  • If you are a new student, you must obtain a PSU Gorilla ID Card from the Gorilla Card Office prior to verifying.
  • You must verify your enrollment for each semester that you are receiving any kind of financial aid, including:
    • Athletic scholarship for tuition and/or on-campus housing
    • State of Kansas Scholarship
    • University scholarships, including Academic Achievement Award, Diversity, Departmental, etc.
    • Private donor scholarships
    • Federal grants, including Pell, TEACH, Federal Supplemental Opportunity Grant (SEOG), etc.
    • Kansas Comprehensive Grant
    • Perkins Loan
    • Nursing Loan
    • Student Loans, subsidized and/or unsubsidized

How Do Refunds Work?

If you are unfamiliar with the refund process and want additional information, please visit our Financial Assistance Refund page.

*Requirements for students to meet in order to receive their funds may include the following:

  • No University holds
  • Enrolled in the number of credit hours in which you were awarded
  • Completed the "Verification of Enrollment for Disbursement of Funds"
  • Completed a Master Promissory Note (MPN) (required for student loans)
  • Completed an Entrance Interview Counseling (required for student loans)


All correspondence from the Office of Student Financial Assistance, along with other offices on campus, will be sent to your GUSMAIL account. You will be responsible for checking this email account on a regular basis to ensure that you are getting up to date information about your student account. If you need assistance setting up this account or you are having trouble logging into your GUSMAIL, contact Gorilla Geeks.