Pittsburg State University students hauled home lots of gold and silver Saturday at the American Advertising Federation - Joplin ADDY Awards. The students won seven gold awards, nine silver awards and two special awards.
“It is even more rewarding for me to watch my students accept these awards, than to receive awards of my own,” said Cristel Benson, an assistant professor in the Department of Graphics and Imaging Technologies, who also won awards at the event. “For them to grasp the importance of their hard work and dedication in the classroom, and stand confidently among professionals in this industry is the greatest satisfaction of all.”
In addition to the student awards, Benson won a gold for “Syllabus” and silver for “Get Graphic at PSU promotional material” and “Brandon Griffin graduation announcement.” Chris Huitt, assistant professor in the Department of Graphics and Imaging Technologies, also won a silver award for his “Baja T-shirt design.”
PSU’s Department of Marketing and Communication won five ADDY silver awards for: “Fine & Performing Arts Center -- A New Era in the Arts,” a brochure; “Tornado! Photographer’s images touch hearts around the world,” a spread in the PittState Magazine; the Spring 2011 and Fall 2011 issued of the PittState Magazine (Magazine Design category) and “2011 Faculty & Staff Campaign” (Direct Marketing category).
Student awards went to:
• Gordon Maxey, a senior from Lee’s Summit, Mo. -- a Gold for “Duncil Wedding Photography.”
• Logan Grieder, a senior from Hartford, Kan. -- a Gold award and the Lights Out Judges Award for “Kanza Brewing Co. 4 pack.”
• Hillary Reeve Heflin, a graduate student from Kansas City, Mo. -- A Gold award for “Bon Vivant Brochure” and a Gold award for “Graduation Announcement,” photography by Kris Hartley. Heflin also won three Silver awards for “Bon Vivant Corporate Identity Package,” “Bon Vivant Flyer,” and “Bon Vivant Logo.”
•Shawn Brandt, a senior from Paola, Kan. -- a Gold award for “Brandt Aerospace Business Card.”
• Sam Clausen, a sophomore from Cherokee, Kan. -- a Gold award and Best of Show award for “Photography Portfolio.”
•Zach Waggoner, a senior from Joplin, Mo. --a Gold award and the Baby-Faced Assassin judge's award for “ I Am Joplin Event; and Silver awards for “ZW Portfolio” and “The Central Campaign.”
• Eva Schenk, a senior from Pittsburg, Kan. -- A Silver award for “Wedding Invitation.”
• Cayla Probert, a junior from Jasper, Mo. -- a Silver award for “Typographic Illustration.”
• Emily Smalley, a junior from Frontenac, Kan. -- a Silver award for “Frontenac Raider Invite."
• Rose Thornhill, a junior from Fort Scott, Kan. -- a Silver award for “Brandon Boyd Typography.”
©2012 Pittsburg State University