Share page: 

Telecommunications Policies

Telecommunications and Network Services are both operated for the campus by OIS.  PSU communications are carried over both copper and fiber. The Nortel phone switch serves approximately 3000 phones and voicemail boxes for the campus and residence halls. Emergency phones are located across campus and are in most elevators for safety purposes. In emergency situations, individuals should dial 911 as we are an official Public Safety Answering Position. These calls are received by the University Police and will provide the quickest response.

1. General Policies
        Personal Use of Telephone
        Contracting Services
        Use of University Telephone Numbers

2. Service Requests
        Equipment and Service Requests
        Moves, Adds and Changes to Telephone Service
        Installation of New Cabling        

3. Telecom and Billing Details
        Payment of Telecom Services
        Access to Telephone Records

4. Telephone Service Provided
        Collect or Operator-Assisted Calls
        Conference Calls
        Physical Limitations

5. Other Telecom Services
        Cellular Pages
        KANS-A-N Calling Cards

1. General Policies

  • Contracting Services

Contracting services offered from vendors other than the Office of Information Services may result in charges being applied to the responsible department. A list of possible services includes, but is not limited to - long distance calling plans, voice mail services, email services, personal 800 numbers, or calling cards. OIS is the registered owner of all the telephone numbers and will incur fee charges. If this happens, OIS could levy a $30.00 charge to the responsible department, in addition to any additional charges for the services. To avoid this fee, hassle, and unpleasantness simply say NO when asked to sign up for any service. These services may be offered through multiple media types, such as: online, mailings, soliciting calls. The rule should be that if a phone number is requested for billing, the PSU extension may not be used. The state dictates that all funded agencies must use the state's network for telecommunications purposes. This allows keeping costs down when negotiating fees.

  • Use of University Telephone Numbers

The telephone numbers at Pittsburg State University are owned by Pittsburg State University's Telecommunications Department, a State of Kansas subdivision. Users are neither the registered owner, nor agents for the owner of any phone numbers here at PSU. Therefore neither rights nor privileges are granted to the user to sign up for any services including calling plans, voice mail services, toll free numbers, etc. which bill directly to the telephone number.

2. Service Requests

  • Equipment and Service Requests

Departments are responsible for determining the type of telephone equipment and service an employee needs to fulfill job requirements. Types of service include: single-line phone, multiple-line phone, cellular phone, KANS-A-N authorization calling card, long distance service, etc.  All costs related to such services are the responsibility of the department including installation, modifications and on-going fees related to the use of the equipment or services.

The following are services provided by telecommunications:

  • New telephone installation and service
  • Telephone service moves
  • Restrictions or changes to telephone service (no long distance service, etc)
  • Voice mail
  • Caller ID and display names
  • Cellular phone service
  • Pager service
  • Estimates involving remodeling, renovation or new construction

Requests should be directed to the OIS Service Center, Information Services Manager or the Telecom Systems Manager

  • Moves, Adds and Changes to Telephone Service

All requests for moving, adding or changing telephone service should be submitted by an authorized departmental contact.  If a charge will be incurred by the request, the request should include a valid fund and unit for billing purposes.  All requests will be processed in a timely manner determined by current work load and detail of request.  Requests should be directed to the OIS Service Center, Information Services Manager or the Telecom Systems Manager.  With the exception of residential students, telephones used on the campus system must be obtained from OIS.

The normal process once service to an extension is terminated is that the extension number will go back into the 'pool' of extension numbers to be reassigned for new phone service. In some cases a request may be made to terminate service on an extension and forward all calls to an alternate number within the department.   If the request is warranted forwarding service will be put in place for no longer than two months at no charge to the client.

  • Installation of New Cabling

OIS is responsible for all communications and cabling for the campus premise

When new cabling is installed in a new structure or existing building, OIS will:

  • Exercise management control of all inside and outside communications cables, ducts, frames and distribution closets.
  • Review building drawings, size cables, select cable routes and provide engineering specifications for the inside and outside plant.
  • Engineer and install outside cable plant from the closest service point to the building distribution frame.
  • Install or arrange installation of telephone riser and station cabling.
  • Administer and reuse or removal of old outside or inside cable plant.

Fees for the above services vary due to the scope of the project.  Please see the OIS Premise Distribution Document or contact a member of the Telecom Support Staff for more information.

3. Telecom and Billing Details

  • Payment of Telecom Services

The Office of Information Services will provide a monthly statement to each department for dial tone charges, equipment, long distance calls, current work order charges, and any other appropriate telecommunications charges.  The charges will be to the fund and unit the department has predetermined and preauthorized.  All charges will be detailed by the extension number which incurred the charge.

If a department desires a change to the fund and unit being billed to any telephone service the information must be approved by the authorized signer of the account and provided in advance to the Information Services Manager.

  • Access to Telephone Records

To assure individuals' right to privacy, OIS protects telephone call records from routine disclosure except when needed by:

  • Departments to review monthly bills and charges for validity

  • Appropriate PSU personnel for audit of record keeping procedures or for investigative purposes

  • Any local, state or federal investigative agency for investigative purposes under compliance with any and all federal and state regulations.

Requests for telephone records should be directed to the Telecom Systems Manager.

4. Telephone Service Provided

  • Collect or Operator-Assisted Calls

Due to the high costs and fees, Pittsburg State University discourages the use of collect or operator-assisted calls.  These calls should only be used in select instances, where deemed appropriate and necessary.  OIS is the registered owner of all the telephone numbers and will receive billing for any such services. When billed, OIS will levy the call charges back to the listed department associated with the extension number, in addition to a $2.00 administrative fee per call. To avoid this fee, hassle and unpleasantness you are encouraged to simply say NO when asked if you will accept the charges.

  • Conference Calls

Special equipment is available for use when making conference calls.  This equipment may be installed in a permanent location or is available for temporary check-out in select locations.  Contact the Information Services Manager for details.  Arrangements should be made at least 24 hours in advance of the call.

  • Physical Limitations

Any faculty or staff member requiring specialized equipment or consideration should contact OIS. Students with any special needs should contact the Equal Opportunity office at or x4185 (off campus calls should be directed to 620-235-4185).

  • Voice Mail

Voice Mail is available at no charge to any telephone.  This service allows callers to leave recorded messages, which can be checked by the employee from on or off campus.  The number to call to access voice mail is 235-6100.

The voice mail box on a telephone is considered to be confidential information.   When a phone is being reassigned to a new person the existing voice mail box should be deleted and a new one set up. New voice mail boxes are set up with a default password which must be changed by the user.  For assistance contact the OIS Service Center, Information Services Manager or the Telecom Systems Manager

5. Other Telecom Services

  • Cellular Phones

Cell phones are available for temporary or permanent checkout from the Office of Information Services.  Several cell phone calling plans are available from OIS to suit the diverse needs of our clients.  Contact the OIS Information Service Manager for details or visit

It is important to keep in mind that, similar to office phones, cell phones are provided to conduct university business.  The employee's department will be billed for any additional charges incurred when the phone is checked out.  The employee's department is responsible for taking corrective action in the event an employee abuses the personal phone call policy.  If a personal call is inadvertently charged to the university, the caller is required to reimburse the University for the cost of the call.

To check out a cell phone, a Cellular Phone Request Form should be completed and returned to the Information Services Manager with at least 24 hours advance notice.  The time period the phone will be needed, the calling area requested, a PSU fund and unit and authorized signature must be included on the form.

Rates are determined from the time the cell phone is picked up until it is returned to OIS.  Any roaming, long distance or other charges incurred during the check-out time will be passed on to the user.  Billing transactions will occur on the monthly telephone billing processed by OIS.

  • KANS-A-N Calling Cards

The Kansas Agency Network (KANS-A-N) is a State leased, long distance telephone service for official state business.  KANS-A-N Calling Cards identify the agency and authenticate a caller to the KANS-A-N network.  Requests for KANS-A-N Calling Cards should be sent to the Telecom Systems Manager in writing with a PSU account number and signed by the departmental head.

A detailed list of itemized calling card calls will be provided in conjunction with your departmental billing. Use of your calling card for long distance calling means you agree to the following policy.   The cost of the long distance calls will be transferred to your PSU fund unit number.

  1. Statement of  Responsibility

    1. To be an authorized user your name must have been requested to receive a KANS-A-N card from the department's authorized personnel.

    2. As an authorized user, 1) you accept full responsibility for all long distance calls made with your KANS-A-N card 2) it is your responsibility to keep your card number and pin number confidential.

    3. It is prohibited for any other user to use your assigned KANS-A-N calling card.  You are responsible for preventing unauthorized use as well as refraining from using someone else's authorization code.

  2. Authorization Code Misuse

    1. PSU Telecommunications monitors all authorization code input.

    2. Fraudulent use of an authorization code and theft of interstate telephone service is a felony.

  3. Billing Disputes

    1. Billing disputes will be investigated only if reported to the Office of Information Services, in writing, (e-mail accepted to within 10 days of the issuance of the itemized call statement.  You acknowledge that, due to equipment limitations you may be billed for long distance calls, if ringing or a busy signal is allowed for 30 seconds (about 6 rings), even though the call is not completed.  You are responsible for all long distance calls charged to your KANS-A-N calling card unless an investigation proves unavoidable fraud.

  4. Sanctions for Misuse

    1. Any attempt to defraud Pittsburg State University will be handled by the appropriate authorities.

    2. The Office of Information Services reserves the right to discontinue long distance service for anyone not complying with this agreement

To cancel service and deactivate calling card, please contact the Telecommunications Office, Office of Information Services, 158 Kelce.