FAFSA Online Assistance

The Office of Student Financial Assistance (OSFA) has a computer lab in room 101 Horace Mann, where staff will assist students who would like help completing their Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online. Please note that most students and parents are able to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to add tax information to FAFSA. The student will need to bring with them the following documents in order to complete the FAFSA:

Fall 2017, Spring 2018 and Summer 2018                                         

Dependent Students

  • Student's 2015 federal tax return (1040/ 1040A/1040EZ)                
  • Parent's 2015 federal tax return
  • Parent's 2015 W-2's for all employers
  • Schedules A, B, C, D, E, F, and/or K for both parent and student

Independent Students

  • Student's and spouse's (if married) 2015 federal tax returns
  • 2015 W-2's for all employers ( student and spouse, if married)
  • Schedules  A, B, C, D, E, F, and/or K

Fall 2018, Spring 2019, and Summer 2019

Dependent Students

  • Student's 2016 federal tax return (1040/1040A/1040EZ)
  • Parent's 2016 federal tax return
  • Parent's 2016 W-2's for all employers
  • Schedules A, B,C,D,E,F, and/or K for both parent and student

Independent Students

  • Student's and spouse's (if married) 2016 federal tax returns
  • 2016 W2's for all employers (student and spouse, if married)
  • Schedules A,B,C,D,E,F, and/or K

In addition to the above documents, the student (and a parent, if a dependent student) will need to have a FSA ID to electronically sign the FAFSA.  If you do not yet have a FSA ID, you (and your parent, if required) can apply for one online.  

NOTE:  The OSFA will not retain copies of the student's and parent's tax information used during the online application process.  However, you may be requested to submit those documents to our office at a later date if your FAFSA is selected for verification by the Department of Education.  We would like to request the student keep all information readily available to them until an Award Letter is received. Beginning with the 2012-2013 academic year, the Department of Education is requiring that schools request a tax transcript in place of the tax return. We recommend requesting the tax transcript at your earliest convenience so that it is available in the event that it is requested. To request a tax transcript, you will need to call the IRS at 1-800-908-9946 and follow the instructions until given the option to select "Tax Return Transcript". 

Please ensure that a valid e-mail address is listed in the GUS system, as we will contact the student via e-mail if he/she needs to submit documents and/or other information as a result of being selected for verification.