Share page: 

All About On-Campus Employment

On-campus employment is a great option for many students looking for part-time employment. It certainly has its benefits.

Here are just a few:

  • Flexible hours that will often work around your class schedule
  • Diverse experiences you may not be offered elsewhere
  • Responsibilities and skills that will look great on a resume
  • Most jobs on-campus have a "regular" work day of 8am to 4:30pm
  • Networking with professionals that could prove beneficial after graduation

There are, however, a few things to remember about on-campus employment:

  • An undergrad must be enrolled in a minimum of six (6) hours per semester to be employed on-campus
  • A graduate student must be enrolled in a minimum of three (3) hours per semester to be employed in a regular student employment position on-campus
  • To be employed as a graduate assistant a graduate student must be enrolled in a minimum of nine (9) hours per semester
  • University policy limits each student to 20 work hour per week while classes are in session
  • International students should refer to this page for employment guidelines.
  • Many offices are closed or in reduced force during periods when classes are not in session
  • Some jobs are not limited to a "regular" work day . . . certain jobs require evening and/or weekend hours
  • Remember to check Gorillas4Hire for the latest on-campus postings!

I Got An On-Campus Job, So Now What?

If you have obtained an on-campus job there are still a few more steps you need to take in order to complete your employment process. Once you have confirmed your appointment with your supervisor, you should:

  1. Bring documents establishing your identity and employment eligibility to the Student Employment office at 202 Horace Mann. Find a complete list of those documents here: I-9 Acceptable Documents.

  2. Complete the appropriate paperwork at the Student Employment office -- you will have to complete tax information. So it may be useful if you already know your claiming status.

  3. Direct Deposit is now REQUIRED! You must bring a voided check or a deposit slip with you to 202 Horace Mann. A bank or debit card will not work!