Career Fair Attire at Pittsburg State
- A suit is always suggested. See below for suggestions on looking your best!
- The MINIMUM career fair attire for anyone attending is slacks and a nice shirt. Any questions or comments can be directed to the Office of Career Services at 620-235-4140.
- Not able to purchase a new suit? Click here for information on free attire available to all PSU Students with Career Clothes Closet!
- Men should wear a well tailored suit.
- Colors should be traditional. Navy blue, charcoal gray, or black are appropriate, in solid or subtle striped patterns.
- The shirt needs to be long-sleeve and button down, preferably in a solid color such as white or light blue.
- Choose a suit fabric. High-quality worsted wool is the most seasonally versatile. Avoid blends that are made with too much polyester, as they do not breathe well and may look cheap.
- Test the jacket for fit. Make sure the collar lies flat against the back of your neck and shows a 1/4-inch rim of shirt collar. Shoulders should be lightly padded and neither too boxy nor too sloped. Sleeves should reveal 1/4 to 1/2 inch of shirt cuff and fall 5 inches above the tip of your thumb.
- Button the jacket and sit down to verify that it is comfortable and does not bunch up.
- Make sure the pants sit at the waist. Check that your socks do not show when you walk.
- No matter what your age, your business attire should be as professional as possible.
- Avoid clothes that are the latest fad and choose a more conservative look.
- Women should wear a two-piece matched suit in power colors such as charcoal gray or black.
- Skirts should cover your thighs when you are seated, with no high slits.
- Panty hose are a necessity when wearing a skirt.
- Pants should be tailored.
- Shirts and sweaters should be tailored and the color should either be a solid color or small print that coordinates with your suit.
- Dress to suit your personality while keeping professional standards in mind. When you feel comfortable with your appearance you will feel more at ease and tending to dress.
- The tie can be a solid subtle color or have a small print or stripes, however, its overall appearance should be conservative.
- Socks need to be a dark solid or a small pattern.
- Shoes need to be a leather wing tip or loafer style. They should be clean and polished. Belt should match shoes.
- Facial hair needs to be well groomed.
- Jewelry should consist of only a conservative watch and one ring maximum on each hand...NO PIERCINGS.
- Details: Everything should be cleaned and well pressed. When interviewing, it is in your best interest to cover visible tattoos if possible.
- Jewelry should be simple and conservative. No “clunky” bracelets. You should have one earring maximum in each ear, as well as one ring on each hand.
- A little make-up goes a long way. Keep it attractive, yet minimal.
- Shoes should be dress pumps, professional yet comfortable. Buckles and details should be minimal.
- Panty hose, if any, should be plain with no pattern and compliment your suit.
- Your purse or bag should coordinate with your shoes. Make sure it does not have a large, flashy print. The smaller the bag, the better.