Share page: 


The Business Office assists all university personnel with travel policies and reimbursements.  All PSU employees, who will be reimbursed for travel or other professional expenses, must sign up for direct deposit or electronic fund transfer (EFT).

University personnel may be required to travel in fulfilling their official duty or in attending seminars or other professional or educational activities benefiting the University. Travel authorization is given in most instances by the Chairperson of the Department or by the appropriate administrator prior to travel. It is the policy of Pittsburg State University that any University employee traveling on University business shall submit a "Travel Request Form" for those trips exceeding $1000 in total estimated expenses. The "Travel Request Form" shall be signed by the traveler, the authorized signature of the unit's financing the travel, the Department Chairperson or Director, and the appropriate Dean, Vice President, or President. The "Travel Request Form" shall include the following: identity of the traveler, dates of travel, destination, and purpose of the trip, and the source of funds (including Organizational, Student Activity, Student Center, and PSU Foundation, as well as, State). The completed original "Travel Request Form" shall be submitted to the Business Office prior to travel and will be required prior to processing payment for travel related expenditures. A travel number will be assigned by the Business Office and a copy of the form returned to the traveler. An assigned travel number must be included with all expenditures associated with the specific trip (registrations, airfare, rental cars, and expense detail form). Documentation of travel authorization for those trips exceeding $500 in total estimated expenses should be maintained at the department level for a minimum of three fiscal years. All other travel authorization documentation is at the discretion of the Department.

PSU's Business Procurement Card may be used for most travel expenses excluding food.  Information relating to travel charged on the BPC must be provided in Gorilla Marketplace when a BPC entry is made.  Personal expenses may not be charged to the BPC including but not limited to all travel costs relating to spouses, family, or friends.  Requests for reimbursement of allowable travel expenses incurred shall be submitted to the Business Office utilizing a "Travel Expense Detail" (Form DA 121). Expenses incurred by the traveler shall be reimbursed after the traveler has returned from the trip upon submission of the "Travel Expense Detail" with original receipts and supporting documentation. The receipt must include the traveler's name and method of payment to allow for verification of how and who made the payment.  The University policy for travel reimbursement is that of the State of Kansas, except for those policies approved separately and paid from local funds for employees of the University Advancement Division from PSU Foundation funds, and for the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics from Student Activity funds.

The Travel Center for State Employees including the Employee Travel Expense Reimbursement handbook can be found at Department of Administration Travel Center. Reimbursement rates are updated at least annually and are available in summary on the Travel Trifold.



K.A.R. 1-16-18 has been modified to allow a  per meal allowance, rather than a quarter day meal allowance. This will be effective for travel taking place July 1, 2010 and later. The method of determining the meals allowed is shown below.

Meal allowances on the day of departure are reimbursed as follows:

Time of departure

Meals allowed

12:01 A.M. - 6:00 A.M.

Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner

6:01 A.M. - 12:00 Noon

Lunch and Dinner

12:01 P.M. - 6:00 P.M.


6:01 P.M. - 12:00 Midnight

No meals allowed

Meal allowances on the day in which the employee returns to the official station or domicile are reimbursed as follows:

Time of return

Meals allowed

12:01 A.M. - 6:00 A.M.

No meals allowed

6:01 A.M. - 12:00 Noon


12:01 P.M. - 6:00 P.M.

Breakfast and Lunch

6:01 P.M. - 12:00 Midnight

Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner

As authorized by K.S.A.75-3207a, the Secretary of Administration has fixed the rates for FY 2016 at:

Meal Allowance:


In-state/border city $  9.00 $12.00 $25.00
Out-of-state, regular $  9.00 $12.00 $25.00
Out-of-state high-cost $12.00 $16.00 $33.00
Out-of-state special designated
high-cost area
$14.00 $19.00 $38.00
International $15.00* $21.00* $33.00*

*or actual to either a maximum of $127 per day or the allowable meal expense on the U.S. Department of State website for Foreign Per Diem Rates by Location

International Meal Allowance:

Beginning in FY2015, international travelers may use the meal per diem rates for a particular city as established by the U.S. Department of State on their website ( under the heading Foreign Per Diem Rates by Location. Look up the country and then the city and find the meal allowance under the column heading M & IE Rate.

Reduced Meal Allowance:

If the cost of meals is included within the cost of registration fees or other fees and charges paid by the agency or supplied without cost by another party, the meal allowance should be reduced as shown in the table above.


SINGLE DAY TRIPS - The rates as established in accordance with K.A.R. 1-16-18(c)(3) are the same as indicated in the table above.

FAQ's regarding one day travel (St of Kansas website)

Exception to the meal allowance rate for single day trips. The agency head or designee may authorize reimbursement to employees for one meal per day in the following circumstances, when lodging expense is not incurred: (1) the employee is required to travel on official state business, and the employee's workday, including travel time, is extended three hours or more beyond the employee's regularly scheduled work day; or (2) the employee is required to attend a conference or a meeting as an official guest or participant, and a meal is served during the required attendance time. A meal cannot be reimbursed if the place at which the official business is conducted is within 30 miles of the employee's official station or if a meal is provided at no cost to the employee. Each request for reimbursement shall identify the date, departure time, arrival time, destination, meal requested, and the purpose of travel. The meal requested for reimbursement (e.g., lunch) as well as the employee's scheduled work hours for the day (e.g., 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.) should be shown on the employee's Travel Expense Detail.  There is no provision to reimburse an employee if the actual cost of a meal exceeds the per-meal allowance rate. One breakfast, lunch or dinner may be paid, as determined by the agency head or designee, at the following per-meal allowance rates:



As authorized by K.S.A.75-3203a, the Secretary of Administration has fixed the private vehicle maximum mileage reimbursement rates for FY 2016 at:

54¢ per mile for privately owned motorcycle

57¢ per mile for privately owned automobile

23¢ per mile for moving mileage rate

$1.29 per mile for privately owned airplane (based on air miles rather than highway miles) 


In-state/border city

$ 83.00

Out-of-state, regular

$ 83.00

Out-of-state, designated high-cost area


Out-of-state, special designated high-cost area




Conference lodging qualified under K.A.R. 1-16-18a(e)


K.S.A. 75 3207a(f) provides that the daily lodging expense limitations established above may be exceeded by the lesser of either: (1) an additional 50% of the applicable lodging expense limitation, or (2) the actual lodging expense incurred.

These lodging limits continue to be applied to the lodging rate before taxes. Thus, the amount reimbursed or paid for lodging expenses may exceed the established lodging limitation by as much as the amount of associated taxes.


Any authority given to "agency head or designee" is held by the Controller of Pittsburg State University unless involvement of the Division's Vice President or the University's President is deemed necessary.

Effective October 1, 2010 all employee reimbursements from state funds must be processed by ACH.  If an employee has not submitted their banking information to the Purchasing Office their reimbursement request will be held until the banking information has been received by PSU, their vendor file updated, and then activated by Accounts & Reports in Topeka.

University personnel are encouraged to contact the Business Office (Ext. 4157) for additional information regarding reimbursement of travel expenditures and the appropriate procedures for requesting reimbursement.