Share page: 

Early Childhood Development
Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Will I be working with children as a part of this program?
A:  Yes.  Students have multiple opportunities for working with children in the PSU Early Childhood Preschool Lab through practicum experiences and student teaching.  Our student teachers also have the option to work in a variety of other settings such as an infant/toddler placement, Head Start, or with Parents as Teachers.

Q: What classes could I take in high school or community college to better prepare me for this program?
A: The Family & Consumer Sciences program has articulation agreements with a large number of high schools in the state in the early childhood pathway.  If you are from one of those programs ask us about the additional credit you will receive for your high school coursework.  For all students all child development courses would be beneficial.

Q:  Will I have a minor?
A:   All students in the FCS department and the College of Arts & Sciences select a minor.  For students in the Early Childhood Development program the most common minors include Early Childhood Special Education, Psychology, Sociology, Recreation, Accounting or Business Administration.

Q:  Is there a student organization that is related to this area of study?
A:  Yes.  The Early CHildhood Student orgaization (ECSO) is the primary group.  Students from this group attend state and national meetings.  Many students from this area are also members of the Kansas Association of Family & Consumer Sciences (KAFCS) and top students are invited to join Phi Upsilon Omicron (Phi U) which is the departmental Honor Society.