Department of Music
The mission of the Department of Music is to:
- instruct and inspire those whose professional goals include the creation, performance, critical assessment, and teaching of music;
- offer courses to the general student body that will enhance their understanding as well as appreciation of all music;
- provide leadership within the University and the four-state region in all matters pertaining to the musical art and to music;
- make available to the university community and area residents opportunities to participate in musical activities. These include individual and group study and performance for pre-college and college students, as well as continuing music learning and performance experiences for the music faculty and those in the surrounding region;
- maintain and enhance our outreach and program of service and assistance to area public schools and other educational/professional organizations by acting as adjudicators, clinicians, guest conductors, and consultants; and
- contribute to the enhancement of the cultural life of the university and the region through the performance and sponsorship of frequent and varied concerts and recitals.