Retirement and Retiree Benefits


Click here for a Retirement Checklist

Retirement Provider Meeting Schedule and Contact information can be found here

General Information

University support staff and unclassified employees who retire from PSU must submit a retirement letter to their supervisor. The letter is routed through the chain of command. The letter should be submitted as soon as the decision to retire is made. You should also make an appointment with Lori Scott Dreiling (ext. 4188)  at least two (2) months before your retirement date to discuss benefits and payroll issues and complete paperwork.

For Human Resource Services purposes, eligibility to retire is based on the employee's retirement plan criteria - either KPERS, KP&F or Kansas Board of Regents Mandatory Retirement Plan. 

For University recognition as a retiree in official publications and ceremonies, the following guidelines apply:

  • Age 55 with at least 10 years of PSU full-time, continuous service or age 60 with at least 5 years of PSU full-time, continuous service.
  • Any employee that is terminated and/or allowed to resign under special circumstances shall not be listed as a retiree, even if eligible under retirement plan criteria used by HRS.

Resignation and Retirement Dates of Academic-Year Faculty


HRS Retiree Benefits

The following is a summary of benefits provided to employees who retire from Pittsburg State University. Click on the links for more information.

Health Insurance

  • Effective October 2019, health insurance benefits you are enrolled in, including HSA and FSA contributions, will end on the last day of the month in which your last day of employment falls if you retire on the 2nd day of the month or later.  If you retire on the 1st day of the month, health insurance benefits you are enrolled in, including HSA and FSA contributions, will end on the 1st day of the month.  After you retire, you and your covered dependents can continue medical, dental and vision insurance in the State of Kansas health plan. 


  • If you or your covered dependents are under age 65, you can continue in COBRA, then transition to Direct Bill, or you can continue Direct Bill. Review the information in this document for steps you will need to do to transition from COBRA to Direct Bill: Direct Bill and Cobra - Instructions for Participants.



  • If you are age 65 when you retire and you continue in the Direct Bill program, you must have Medicare Parts A & B in effect when your active employee health insurance ends. You may also need to enroll in a Medicare Part D (Prescription Drug coverage).  Contact Social Security at a local office or through for assistance with the enrollment process.


  • You will use the SEHP Membership Administration Portal (MAP) to complete the enrollment in Direct Bill.  You will access MAP at You will need to register with MAP.  Your spouse will also need to register if you or your spouse are over age 65 and eligible for Medicare.


SHICK (Senior Health Insurance Counseling for Kansas) may also be able to assist you with your questions about Medicare and other health insurance issues.

Flexible Spending Accounts

  • Flexible spending accounts (FSA) will continue through the end of the month of your last day at work.  You should be ready to submit a claim for reimbursement close to your retirement date so that your claim is not denied for late submission.  Check with the FSA provider for specific deadlines.  COBRA gives you the option of extending your FSA coverage period on an after-tax basis. You will receive information about COBRA from the COBRA administrator.
  • Employer-Provided Life Insurance (KPERS and Regents Mandatory Retirement Plan eligible Employees Only)
The employer-provided life insurance for employees appointed to positions eligible for KPERS or the Regents Mandatory Retirement Plan will end on the last day of the pay period in which your last day at work occurred.

If you purchased optional group life insurance, coverage will continue through the last day of the month in which your last day at work occurred.

You can continue the employer-provided life insurance and optional group life insurance after you leave PSU by converting the coverage to an individual policy.  You can also convert the coverage to a portable term life policy, if you are not absent due to sickness or injury on the day before your retirement date.  A Conversion Request and Portability Election form will be provided to you by HRS and will include rate information.


  • Discretionary Day University support staff and unclassified employees eligible for the discretionary day must use the holiday on or before their last day at work. You will not be paid for this day if it is not used.

  • Longevity Bonus Payment University support staff employees must be in pay status on their length of service date to receive longevity bonus payment for the fiscal year. Employees should check this date with HRS to be sure they receive the bonus payment, if eligible.

  • Retirement Plan and Voluntary Tax Sheltered Annuity Plan
    Review the following information on withdrawing funds from your accounts:


Note that there has to be a Bona Fide separation of service to access mandatory retirement funds. Other rules control access to voluntary retirement funds. Click here for more information. 

If you are eligible for a benefit from the Regents Mandatory Retirement Plan you should contact your provider for information on starting a retirement benefit. You may also want to read about the Kansas State Income Tax Exemption for 403(b) plans

If you are eligible for a retirement benefit from KPERS or KP&F contact HRS to complete your retirement benefit application form. You will need to bring your birth certificate and your joint annuitant's birth certificate if a joint option is selected. Proof of name change from birth name to current name will also need to be provided.

University Retiree Benefits

  • Faculty Space and Support
    Faculty members may have office, lab space and secretarial support with approval by the Chair and Dean.

  • Tickets for University-Sponsored Events
    Retirees receive two (2) complimentary tickets for University-sponsored events. Note that the value of complimentary tickets is a taxable fringe benefit and will affect your social security earnings for the calendar year.

  • Courtesy Parking Hanger
    One (1) non-expiring courtesy parking cling/sticker is available upon retirement from the Human Resources Office or the University Police.

  • Full library privileges

  • Retirees have full privileges at the Axe Library.

  • Weede Recreation Facility
    Retirees have use of the Weede recreation facility (pool and racquetball courts only) during hours set aside for staff use.

  • Student Recreation Center

  • University Bookstore
    Retirees are included in "Faculty/Staff Appreciation Day" at University Bookstore.

Remember to talk to Social Security about retirement. See also the Social Security web site for more information.


Miscellaneous Information

Your official PSU email ( account will be closed after your last day of employment.


PSU Email Account:
  • Unclassified faculty and administrators awarded Emeritus status may continue to access their email account through Outlook.  Emeritus status recipients will need to send an email to within 5 work days after receiving the President’s Office to inform ITS of their retirement date so that their Outlook account can be kept open.


  • Mailing Address
  • Remember to notify HRS if you change your home address. The State of Kansas will mail your final year W-2 to the address we have on file unless you have opted for electronic W-2 access in the State Employee Self Service site (see below).

  • Time and Leave
    Complete your GUS HR time cards, if needed by your last day at work. Hourly employees report hours worked and leave taken. Salaried employees report only leave taken. Please note that if you have not taken your Discretionary Day you may want to use it since you will not be reimbursed for it if you do not use it.

  • Electronic Fund Transfer
    Your last paycheck will be electronically deposited into your account. You will need to keep your account open until your last paycheck is deposited.

  • Electronic W-2
    Electronic W-2 forms are available! Through the State of Kansas Employee Self Service Portal.  This option will allow you to securely receive your W-2 electronically and save or print from you own computer.  You must log on to the Employee Self Service portal and consent to receive this information electronically.

  • 9 Pay 12 Salary Payment Option (9 Month Faculty Only)Unless you request otherwise your 9 Pay 12 monies will be paid on the designated payout date at the end of the spring semester. Requests for an earlier payout date must be submitted in writing.

Life Insurance Forms

Conversion Option (Fillable PDF)

Portability Option (Fillable PDF)

Clearance Checklist