Keelah Griffith: From student-athlete to supporting student-athletes 

When Keelah Griffith came to Pitt State from Bentonville, Arkansas, as a student-athlete, she had two goals: to be the best softball player she could be and to earn a degree in Sports Management. 

Now, she has a new goal. 

“My ultimate goal is to create the best possible experience for current and future student-athletes,” she said. 

She’s working toward that in a new position at Pitt State: Assistant Athletic Director for Development. 

In that role, she focuses on fundraising events in Athletics and helping to build the Silverback Fund. 

The Silverback Fund was established in 2017 to provide resources to recruit and retain quality student-athletes at Pittsburg State University. Scholarships from the fund ease financial burdens and enable student-athletes to focus on their performance, and free up funds to maintain cutting-edge facilities, start new programs, and complete projects that advance the championship culture expected in Gorilla Nation. 

“I want our student-athletes to have the joy I felt when I was here, and figuring out their needs and who can help fund those needs is a big part of that,” Griffith said. “In this job, I’m able to acknowledge the experience I had and pay it forward. 

She works to determine needs and how they can be funded, and connects donors, fans, and alumni to the Athletic Department. 

“I’m opening the door for them and showing them ways they can help,” she said. 

Keelah at bat

Now 24, sports have been a huge part of her life since high school. 

Coming to Pitt State to pursue being part of a team and a sports-related degree program was an easy decision. 

“I came here on a visit and was so impressed with the facilities for student-athletes,” she said. “I really loved it here." 

Scholarships offered through Health, Human Performance, and Recreation Department and Gorilla Softball sealed the deal. 

“That was a big part of my decision, and so was in-state tuition – that was huge,” she said. 

Griffith enjoyed her collegiate experience not only on the team, but in clubs, organizations, and as an Advancement Ambassador. 

“All the doors were open here,” she said. “Every opportunity I wanted to take, I was able to take.” 

“I had a lot of personal growth here, learning the leadership style of two coaches and interacting with teammates from many different backgrounds. You learn different perspectives, backgrounds, different ways of doing things, you go through losses and wins together. You learn how to be a leader and a follower."

Keelah in outfield  

She graduated with her Bachelor’s in 2022 and immediately began work on her Master’s, which she earned in December 2023.  

She has a much better appreciation for all that goes in Athletics, she said – including compliance, documentation, fan engagement, game production, health and wellness, facilities maintenance, and more. 

Doing her part to continue the athletic traditions of Pitt State is an honor, she said. 

“Collegiate athletics creates a culture – it is something everyone can rally around and can believe in together,” she said. 

She goes to games whenever possible and watches livestreams when she can’t. 

“This is home — I still get the joy and passion from collegiate athletics, but from a different standpoint. It’s a lot of fun. I can’t imagine being anywhere else.” 

Learn more about the Silverback Fund and how you can support student-athletes.