Graduate Writing Studios
The Graduate Writing Studio was designed to support graduate students engaged in writing their master’s theses. The writing of a master’s thesis can present significant challenges—challenges with which the Writing Center can help. A small group setting, scheduled accountability, and a knowledgeable facilitator all contribute to student success.
What kinds of work will the Graduate Writing Studio participants engage in?
- Reading from the informational text Writing the Successful Thesis and Dissertation: Entering the Conversation by Irene L. Clark
- Producing writing for their theses, from the IRB proposal (or whatever stage they’re at when they enter the GWS) to the final edited paper
- Discussing their progress and challenges with studio peers to receive feedback and motivation for continuing
What will students gain as a result of participating in the Graduate Writing Studio?
Although students will not receive official course credit for their participation, they will gain:
- A certificate of completion and a notable experience to list on their resumes
- Assurance of completing the master’s thesis effectively and efficiently
- The opportunity to develop informal communication skills in writing and speaking in a diverse
Which students will make good candidates for the Graduate Writing Studio?
- For the first GWS cohort, which will run from February to May of 2013, we expect candidates to be in their final semester of their master’s program and have already begun their thesis project, but still have a majority left to finish.
- For future cohorts, candidates will likely be beginning their second year of their master’s program and just developing ideas for their thesis project.
How will students be chosen to participate in the Graduate Writing Studio?
- Graduate thesis advisors will nominate students who they believe will benefit from this initiative. Interested students should inform their advisors.
- Nominations will be directed to the Graduate Dean who will make final selections. Only six students will be accepted!
How often will the Graduate Writing Studio meet?
- The group will meet once a week from mid-February to the first week of May
Who should I contact with other questions about the Graduate Writing Studio?