split face logo
Writing Across the Curriculum
Share page: 

WAC Contact Information

Don Judd
Director  x4697

Janet Zepernick
Assistant Director  x6539

WAC Center
Grubbs Hall 423

Writing to Learn
The General Education writing requirement at Pittsburg State University consists of a sequence of four courses:  two required courses taught by the English Department (ENGL 101 and ENGL 299) and two courses chosen from the menu of courses designated Writing to Learn (WL). This sequence is designed to allow students to take one writing or writing-intensive course each semester of their first two years in order to prepare effectively for the more demanding, discipline-specific writing students will encounter in their upper-division coursework.

What are the required courses?

ENGL 101 Freshman Composition is the foundational course in college-level writing.  In this course, students will be challenged to develop a higher level of academic literacy through reading and responding to challenging texts and developing written works that explore the complex connections between assigned texts, students’ own experience, and the larger world.  ENGL 101 is designed for incoming students with no prior college writing experience.

Writing to Learn courses are writing intensive courses offered in a wide variety of departments and subject areas.  In addition to teaching course content, Writing to Learn courses are designed to enhance students’ ability to formulate and articulate complex ideas and to convey those ideas in writing to a professional and/or academic audience.

ENGL 299 Introduction to Research Writing is the capstone of the general education writing sequence.  It is designed to extend students’ academic literacy by reinforcing and extending students’ skills in writing from sources using academic, scholarly, and professional texts for independent research.  Introduction to Research Writing serves as preparation for upper-division coursework and is intended to be taken when student have completed approximately 45 hours of college credit and have completed two Writing to Learn courses.

What course should I take first?

If you have  an ACT score of 26 or below and no transferable college writing courses, you should enroll in ENGL 101 English Composition.

If you have  an ACT score of 27 or above and no transferable college writing courses, you should enroll in a Writing to Learn course.  NOTE:  If your ACT score is 28 or above, you will have the option of taking ENGL 190 Honors English Composition instead of ENGL 299 after completing at least one Writing to Learn course.

If you are transferring credit for a college writing (ENGL 101) course from a community college, a dual-enrollment high school writing course, or another four-year institution, and you have fewer than 55 total transfer credits (for all transferred courses), you should enroll in a Writing to Learn course.

If you are transfering 55 or more credits, including credit for one college writing course (ENGL 101), you should enroll in ENGL 299. Students transferring 55 or more credits are exempt from the Writing to Learn requirement.

If you are transferring 55 or more credits, including credit for two college writing courses (ENGL 101 and ENGL 299), you have completed the General Education requirement and need not enroll in any writing or Writing to Learn courses.

How can I find out what WL courses are offered?

Writing to Learn course offerings are listed in the schedule of classes for each semester and are designated WL.  You can see a list of all WL courses by clicking on the Writing to Learn option at the top of the schedule of classes.

How much writing will my Writing to Learn course include?

The amount of writing varies by course, but most WL courses are designed to require at least 15 pages of polished, finished draft (usually in the form of multiple short papers), along with informal writing done in class or in online discussion forums.

How will my writing be graded?

Many faculty at PSU are now using the PSU Writing Rubric or an assignment-specific rubric based on the PSU Writing Rubric.  You find the PSU Writing Rubric and an explanation of the terms and concepts it includes on the Writing Across the Curriculum and Writing Center homepages.  Find them under W in the A-Z index on the PSU main page.

What if I need help with my writing?

The Writing Center @ PSU offers face-to-face and online consultations for all students free of charge.  To make an appointment, go to http://pittstate.mywconline.com/index.php.

Where can I get more information?

For more information about the program or to ask questions about your specific situation, contact Don Judd at djudd@pittstate.edu (620-235-4697) or Janet Zepernick  at jzeperni@pittstate.edu (620-235-6539).