Planning for the growth of the Pittsburg State University campus has its roots in the very earliest days of the institution under the leadership of President William A. Brandenburg.
President Brandenburg, who served from 1913 until 1940, engaged the Kansas City landscape architectural firm of Hare and Hare to draw up the first plan for the campus. In 1916, Hare and Hare submitted a plan that included for the first time the area now known as the Oval.
The first campus plan included the existing buildings, which were the administration building (Russ Hall) and the industrial arts building (Whitesitt Hall). It also showed Science Hall (Carney Hall) on the east end of the Oval and two smaller buildings on the north side of the Oval facing Whitesitt.
During Brandenburg's long tenure, 14 buildings were added, but the original Hare and Hare design remained at the center of the design.
In 1973, a new master plan for the PSU campus was approved. That effort grew out of a statewide planning process that encompassed all six of the Kansas Board of Regents universities.
The most recent plan was completed in 1999. It was based upon previous plans, recognizing a number of completed campus construction projects and the evolving needs of the university.
A decade later, with the completion of projects like Cleveland and Lindburg Plazas, the expansion of Carnie Smith Stadium, the Bryant Student Health Center, and the Student Recreation Center, President Steve Scott opened the master planning process once again.