Skip header navigation
Fire Safety / Fire Extinguishers
Regardless of whether a fire is a large one or a very small one, report it to the fire department. The Pittsburg City Fire Department is reached through a central switchboard at 911. When reporting a fire, stay on the line until you are certain someone understands the location of the fire.
Fire prevention is everyone's job. Unfortunately, a responsibility which must be assumed universally is rarely taken seriously by every person affected.
An effective fire safety plan can be implemented without spending a great deal of money if each person acts responsibly. The rules to be followed are simple:
1. Make certain that personal habits do not create a condition that could cause a fire. On a university campus more fires arise from carelessness in the use and disposal of cigarettes than from any other cause.
2. If flammable, toxic and/or explosive materials, or materials otherwise dangerous are used, they should be handled in an approved manner by observing all safety precautions.
3. Provide at least two ways of escape from all areas where hazardous materials, machines, or processes are involved. Keep exits free from obstruction at all times.
4. Be familiar with the location and operation of fire extinguishers in the work area. If instruction is needed, call the Director of Custodial and General Services at the Physical Plant for assistance.
5. Report every fire and be prepared to protect other people by appropriate warning.
6. Remain calm --do not panic. Remember, the saving of lives and valuable property may well depend upon responsible action.
The Physical Plant adheres to the National Electrical Code, Kansas Fire Statutes, Kansas Fire Marshall Regulations, and the National Building Code. PSU is inspected annually by the Office of the State Fire Marshal.
Physical Plant furnishes appropriate type extinguishers as an institutional service. All fire extinguishers, except those of Auxiliary Services, are serviced without charge.
Service includes recharging as required, annual inspection, and testing according to the requirements of the individual extinguishers. Complete records are maintained.
**For more information, direct questions to Kevin Malle at extension 4787, or for emergency situations, contact the Physical Plant front office at extension 4779.