J-1 Off-Campus Work Authorization Based on Economic Hardship

Who is eligible?

The student must meet the following eligibility requirements:

  1. Sponsored by Pittsburg State University
  2. In good academic standing at PSU
  3. Continue to engage in a full course of study while school is in session
  4. Have serious, urgent and unforeseen circumstances which have arisen since acquiring J-1 status.

How to Apply

  1. Make sure that you are eligible for off-campus employment according to the eligibility criteria listed above.
  2. Write a letter requesting off-campus work authorization due to economic necessity. Explain the serious, urgent and unforeseen circumstances which have arisen since coming to PSU.
  3. Make an appointment with the employment advisor of the IPSO. Allow 15-30 minutes for the appointment. Take with you to your appointment: Your letter, your I-94 and your current DS-2019.
  4. When the employment advisor approves the off-campus work authorization he/she will issue you a J-1 Student Employment Authorization Form stating the dates and conditions of your employment. The J-1 student employment authorization form signed by the RO/ARO is your official work authorization document for you to keep. Your employer may require a copy of the original J-1 Student Employment Authorization Form for their records. The employer may also require copies of your Forms I-94, DS-2019, passport and visa page.
  5. You may begin employment only after the international student advisor has approved the specific employment in writing. The approval may be valid up to twelve months, but is automatically withdrawn if the student's program is terminated.

NOTE: Your work will be limited to 20 hours per week when class is in session. You may work more than 20 hours per week during official school breaks and vacation periods. The dates will extend through the validity of your DS-2019 or up to 12 months, whichever period is less. While employed, you will be subject to state and federal income taxes (unless you are exempted by a tax treaty). You will probably not be subject to social security tax if you have been in the U.S. less than 5 years.

Reference: 22 CFR 514.23(g)