What is VPN?
VPN or Virtual Private Network is designed to provide secure/encrypted access to computing resources on the PSU network. It allows, among other things, a method to connect to PSU computing resources (e.g., administrative access, email and p drive) as if the user were locally connected to the PSU network. This allows greater functionality and security than other remote access techniques.
How does a person get access to VPN?
If you are a faculty or staff member you already have access to VPN services using your PSU ID# and GUS unified password.
What is PSU's VPN Policy?
Click here to review PSU's VPN Policy.
FAQs about VPN:
- VPN access does not, by itself, provide internet connectivity. Users are responsible for providing their own internet connectivity via dial-up, cable modem, DSL, or other means to use the PSU VPN.
- Currently, VPN software is available for Windows, Android, IOS, and Mac OS X.
- VPN users will be automatically disconnected from the VPN after 90 minutes of inactivity. The user must then reconnect to the VPN. Pings or other artificial network processes used to keep the connection open are not allowed.
- Only one active VPN connection is allowed per user and maximum connection time is limited to 24 hours.
- Using the VPN to access internet resources external to PSU is not recommended.
- The VPN is an IP only resource. Other protocols are not supported.
- Peer-to-peer software is not allowed over VPN.
- The first Sunday of every month between the hours of 12:00 am and 7:45 am is reserved for regularly scheduled maintenance. Emergency maintenance will be scheduled as needed.
- Go to https://fortivpn.pittstate.edu
- Log in with your PSU ID and unified password (email@example.com and password).
- You will see a download link for Windows, Apple, IOS, Android, etc...
- Download the appropriate product
- Once you have obtained the appropriate client, enter the following credentials.
- Enter your PSU authentications (PSU ID and unified password).
- Once you have the client installed, simply launch it and the client will connect.