Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, SnapChat - Social Networking has become an integral part of our lives. They are a great way to stay connected, but you should be wary about how much personal information you share.
Here are some tips for protecting your social networking life:
Continually monitor your privacy and security settings
- These settings change periodically. Stay current with the apps you are using.
Once posted, always posted
- What you post online, stays online. Posts, pics, and tweets never truly go away so be cautious and considerate when posting about yourself or others.
Keep personal information personal
- The more information you post about yourself the easier it is for hackers or someone else to steal your identity, access your data or commit other crimes like theft or stalking.
Know and manage your friends
- Periodically clean up your friends list and use tools to manage the information you share with different groups of people.
Be honest if you're uncomfortable
- If a friend posts something that makes you uncomfortable or you think it is inappropriate, let them know.
Know what action to take
- If someone is harassing or threatening you, remove them from your friends list, block them, or report them to the appropriate authorities.
For additional information: www.staysafeonline.org