Share page: 

Policies and Procedures
Job Injuries - Information for Supervisors
(updated 2/9/2012)

If An Injury Occurs

If an employee is injured on the job, first assist them in getting medical help if needed. 

PSU Employees working in the Pittsburg area:

  • Minor/Non-life-threatening injuries would be seen at the Bryant Student Health Center.
  • Serious/Life-threatening injuries would be seen at the Emergency Department at Via Christi Hospital in Pittsburg.
  • Incidents that would occur after hours or weekends would be treated at the Emergency Department at Via Christi Hospital in Pittsburg if immediate care is required.

PSU Employees working in the Kansas City area:

  • Employees must receive medical treatment for work-related accidents at KU Medical Center.

Prior to seeking medical treatment complete and print off the First Fill Letter for the employee. If medication is prescribed to treat the injury The First Fill Letter should be given to the participating pharmacy with the prescription(s). The First Fill letter is only good for 24 hours after receipt and only for the first prescription(s) following the injury.

Should the employee seek medical care from a provider that is not approved by the State Self Insurance Fund, the employee may receive unauthorized medical payments limited to $500.

Employees who are injured on the job complete an Incident Report within 5 days of the accident.  If an employee is unable to complete the incident report because of his/her injuries, you should complete the report and note that the employee is unable to complete it because of injuries.  Give the employee a copy of the report and send a copy to the Safety Committee (c/o Building Trades and Landscape Maintenance).  Keep the original Incident Report in your files.

Supervisors should complete the State of Kansas Employer's Report of Accident (Form 1101-A) immediately. Keep a copy of the SOK Report of Accident for your files. Send the original SOK Employer's Report of Accident with a copy of the Incident Report to HRS.

Click here for more information on Job Injuries and Workers Compensation