Group Health Insurance & Optional Group Life Insurance
Summer Deduction Options
for 9, 10 & 11 Month Employees
Nine-month faculty are paid 20 biweekly paychecks for academic year appointments. The first paycheck for academic year 2012-13 was issued August 31, 2012. The last paycheck for academic year 2012-13 will be issued May 24, 2013.
Unclassified and Classified employees on 10 or 11 month appointments are paid 22 or 24 biweekly paychecks respectively.
Even though an employee may not receive a paycheck on some or all of the summer pay dates, the employee will still need to pay for Group Health Insurance (GHI) and Optional Group Life insurance (OGL) coverage during the summer pay periods.
This summer an employee may need to pay for 6 pay dates Group Health Insurance. The last paycheck for the 2012-2013 Academic Year is paid on May 24, 2013, and the first paycheck for the 2013-2014 Academic Year will be paid on August 30, 2013. The pay dates that are affected are: 06/07/13, 06/21/13, 07/05/13, 07/19/13, 08/02/13, and 08/16/13.
There are 3 pay dates that an employee may need to pay for Optional Group Life Insurance. The pay dates are: 06/21/13, 07/19/13, and 08/16/13.
Three options are available to pay for GHI and OGL during these summer pay periods. Even though each option is recommended for specific situations, employees should select the option that is most convenient for them. The following illustrations may be helpful in planning your selection.
Note: Summer session salaries will be paid over 4 biweekly paycheck dates. Faculty teaching the 1st session will receive paychecks on 06/21/13 and 07/05/13. Faculty teaching the 2nd session will receive paychecks on 07/19/13 and 08/02/13. (Please note that deductions cannot be made from the Nine-Pay-Twelve reimbursement checks issued by the PSU Foundation.)
Option #1 -- Recommended for Faculty Not Teaching Summer School
Option #2 -- Recommended for Faculty Teaching 1 Session of Summer School
Option #3 -- Recommended for Faculty Teaching Both Sessions of Summer School
Please reply to firstname.lastname@example.org with the option that you select. This reply will acknowledge that:
- you have read and understand the information on this page and
- you understand that if Option #2 or Option #3 are selected and you do not receive the appropriate number of summer session paychecks, you must remit to the PSU Cashiers and Student Accounts Office the full "after-tax" GHI premium by the pay period end date and the full OGL premium by the first day of the following month.
Please note on the reply email if you anticipate any of the following events which may cause a change in health care coverage level and optional group life insurance coverage between now and September, 2013:
- Dependent turning 26 (must drop from coverage).
- Spouse gaining employment and health coverage (may drop from coverage).
- Spouse losing employment and health coverage (may add to coverage).
- Birth or adoption of child (may add to coverage).
- Marriage of employee (may add spouse to coverage).
- Divorce of employee (must drop spouse from coverage).
- Resignation or retirement from PSU.
We realize that unexpected events will happen. It is to the employee's advantage to notify HRS if an event may require a change in health coverage level. Processing refunds for overpayments is very complex and may take several weeks to complete.
Please contact HRS (e-mail “hrs” or x. 4187) if you have any questions.