Benefits for Active Employees
Faculty/KNEA Shared Leave Program
Under the Faculty/KNEA Shared Leave Program, eligible faculty in the KNEA unit can donate a portion of his/her accumulated sick leave to a faculty sick leave pool. Sick leave accumulated in this pool will be available for use by faculty who have exhausted his/her own personal sick leave.
Sick leave with pay may be granted only for the necessary absence from duty because of the personal illness or disability or legal quarantine of the faculty member; or the personal illness or disability of a member of the faculty member’s family when the illness or disability reasonably requires the employee to be absent from work. Personal illness or disability will be defined to include pregnancy, termination of pregnancy, childbirth and the recovery there from. The use of sick leave for recovery from childbirth shall be limited to 240 hours for a normal delivery and 320 hours for a Caesarean delivery.
The faculty member’s family shall include persons related to the faculty member by blood, marriage or adoption, domestic partners, and minors residing in the faculty member’s residence as a result of court proceedings pursuant to the Kansas Code for Care of Children or the Kansas Juvenile Offenders Code.
Requesting Shared Leave
To request shared leave, complete a KNEA Shared Leave Request Form. The patient should complete an Authorization for Release of Medical Information form and give to their health care provider with a Health Care Provider Statement. Return all completed form to HRS.
The request is reviewed by the Shared Leave Review Committee. This committee consists of the KNEA President, Director of Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action and the Human Resource Services Representative.
Donating Shared Leave
To donate leave, KNEA unit members must complete a Faculty/KNEA Shared Leave Donation Form and send to HRS.
KNEA unit members may donate a maximum of 10 days (80 hours) sick leave to the faculty sick leave pool per academic year. Donations to the faculty sick leave pool are voluntary and irrevocable.
Classified and unclassified employees eligible for the State of Kansas Shared Leave Program may not donate leave to, or receive donations of leave from, unclassified employees in the KNEA Shared Leave Program.
Other Shared Leave Provisions
- Shared Leave will be paid at the receiving faculty member's rate of pay.
- If a faculty member receives worker's compensation, long-term disability payments, or both, the shared leave amount, together with the other payments, cannot exceed the regular salary for the employee.
- If more than one faculty member requests sick leave from the pool at a given time, such sick leave shall be apportioned on an equitable basis to requesting faculty members until the pool is exhausted or until the requesting employee(s) no longer qualify for sick leave.
- Donated sick leave must be allocated to the general sick leave pool and not to a specific school, department, or individual faculty member.
- If a faculty member exhausts his or her sick leave and the faculty sick leave pool becomes exhausted of donated sick leave, he or she may request that the President seek from the Board of Regents a leave without pay for that faculty member.