LIFELINE is a voluntary, confidential, FREE, service that provides benefits eligible employees and their dependents with counseling and referral services. It is an employee benefit sponsored by HealthQuest, the State of Kansas employee health promotion program.
MIND Your Health
National Mental Health Month
Every May, the National Mental Health Association sponsors a campaign to promote emotional health at home and work. This 50-year tradition helps improve the lives of millions of Americans. The theme for this year’s observance, MIND Your Health, focuses on the mind-body connection and the fact that the latest research continues to show even stronger evidence that being healthy doesn’t pertain just to our physical health, but that our mental and physical well-being go hand in hand.
As part of this effort, the LIFELINE program, a service of the State’s HealthQuest health promotion program, offers the following points regarding the connection between mind and body.
- Stress has a direct link to the five major causes of death: heart disease, cancer, lung disorders, accidents, and suicide.
- Chronic stress doubles a person’s risk of having a heart attack.
- Seventy five percent of visits to the doctors’ offices concern stress-related ailments.
- Chronic stress can cause premature aging.
- Cardiovascular experts remind us that regular physical exercise can help people reduce stress, depression and anxiety, and enable them to better deal with adversity.
- People who have major depression and anxiety disorders are significantly (60%) less likely to relapse if they take medication and exercise regularly, than if they take medication alone.
- Individuals who have depression are more likely than others to develop diabetes.
If you have questions about your mind and body connection, call confidentially 24/7 at 800-284-7575.
Summary of CORE LIFELINE Employee Assistance Services
Call LIFELINE 1-800-284-7575 at any time, day or night 7 days a week for help handling life's stresses. State of Kansas benefits eligible employees and their dependent children can receive the following benefits:
1-4 face-to-face sessions (per issue) with an EAP counseling service for a wide variety of problems:
- Day-to-day stresses
- Depression and anxiety
- Major life traumas
- Problems with co-workers or supervisor
- Stress due to layoffs or furloughs
- Marital and family issues
- Drug and alcohol issues
The following services are also available:
- Elder care consultations with an elder care specialist
- Legal consultation with an attorney - one per year
- Financial consultations with a professional
- Extended benefit for employees and immediate family members for 6 months after any layoff action.
- Healthy Life Programs
- Life Coaching (employee only)
- Healthy Weight Program (employee and dependents)
Take advantage of this valuable employee benefit. For help with the day-to-day stressors of life, simply call LIFELINE at 1-800-284-7575 any time, day or night 7 days a week. That's all you need to do. Just pick up the phone. Your call with be completely confidential.