LIFELINE is a voluntary, confidential, FREE, service that provides benefits eligible employees and their dependents with counseling and referral services. It is an employee benefit sponsored by HealthQuest, the State of Kansas employee health promotion program.
Concerned About An Aging Parent?
Eldercare Assistance from LIFELINE
As the average age of the workforce increases, more of us are facing the challenges of care giving. Current research indicates that about 21% of the workforce is caring for an aging loved one. Working caregivers spend an average of 10 hours a week on these care giving activities. The research also shows caregivers are at a greater risk of developing their own health problems due to the stressors they often encounter.
In response to growing employee needs for help with the complex and challenging issues of family concerns and dependent care, our LIFELINE Employee Assistance Program wants to remind you about its eldercare service.
LIFELINE Program is a Great Resource
The LIFELINE staff of experienced geriatric specialists is available to assist with the multitude of responsibilities associated with caring for an aging parent or loved one. The program offers direct hands-on assistance, information, resources, and referrals for a wide variety of special services that can provide much needed benefits for the working parent and caregiver. LIFELINE offers direct, hands–on advice via telephone consultations and/or face-to-face visits that include:
- Evaluating family needs; screening for urgency, assessing the current situation, and offering options of available eldercare facilities and day care homes, identifying additional community resources and support groups.
- Contacting identified licensed facilities or services for up-to-date information regarding service specifics, registration parameters, costs, contact person, and availability verification.
- Advice on Medicaid/Medicare eligibility, and other payment options.
- Arranging for a personalized information packet to be sent with educational materials and other resource information.
- Arranging for a follow-up “how’s it going, and what else can we do” call within 10 days.
- The LIFELINE program works in conjunction with the National Association of Geriatric Care Managers, a nationwide network of geriatric specialists, to provide service when loved ones live out of town.
- One-on-one sessions with an experienced and supportive EAP counselor are always available to provide help with the often emotional responses related to care giving.
Summary of CORE LIFELINE Employee Assistance Services
Call LIFELINE 1-800-284-7575 at any time, day or night 7 days a week for help handling life's stresses. State of Kansas benefits eligible employees and their dependent children can receive the following benefits:
1-4 face-to-face sessions (per issue) with an EAP counseling service for a wide variety of problems:
- Day-to-day stresses
- Depression and anxiety
- Major life traumas
- Problems with co-workers or supervisor
- Stress due to layoffs or furloughs
- Marital and family issues
- Drug and alcohol issues
The following services are also available:
- Elder care consultations with an elder care specialist
- Legal consultation with an attorney - one per year
- Financial consultations with a professional
- Extended benefit for employees and immediate family members for 6 months after any layoff action.
- Healthy Life Programs
- Life Coaching (employee only)
- Healthy Weight Program (employee and dependents)
Take advantage of this valuable employee benefit. For help with the day-to-day stressors of life, simply call LIFELINE at 1-800-284-7575 any time, day or night 7 days a week. That's all you need to do. Just pick up the phone. Your call with be completely confidential.