Important Information about Appointments
Students are strongly encouraged to make appointments to be seen by a Student Health Services medical provider. Same day and walk-in appointments are often available, but not guaranteed.
Advantages of making an appointment include:
- Reducing your wait time.
- Seeing the provider of your choice.
- Scheduling a visit at a time that is convenient for you.
Seeing the same provider you have seen before for a problem (continuity of care).
How to Make an Appointment
It is important to be specific about your needs so that you can be scheduled with the appropriate health care provider for the necessary amount of time.
Student Health Services offers 3 options for seeing a medical provider:
- Make an appointment online through the online service GorillaWellness. You will need your GUS Login ID to access the secure portal.
- Call (620) 235-4452 to schedule an appointment.
- Walk-in without an appointment for conditions that need to be treated as soon as possible. Walk-ins will first be evaluated by a nurse, if a referral to a medical provider is necessary you will either be scheduled for an appointment or worked in around our scheduled patients.
Patients with scheduled appointments may be seen before you, even if you have been waiting longer. (Remember, when you call to make an appointment in advance, your wait time at SHS will be reduced.)
** Visits that do not require an appointment prior to arriving are:
- Birth control refills from prescriptions written by Student Health Services
- Emergency Contraception
- Tuberculosis skin testing or readings
- Blood Pressure Checks
- Flu Shot Vaccinations
- Purchasing over the counter medications
What to Expect
Plan to arrive at least 10 minutes prior to your appointment time to accommodate for parking, possible lines and to complete the registration process. Patients arriving past their appointment time may be rescheduled to another time.
If you have a scheduled appointment you may self check-in using the kiosk in the lobby area. If this your first visit, you will need to go to the front desk to complete the registration process.
Once the check-in process is completed, you will be directed to the waiting area and the medical staff will be notified of your arrival.
During your appointment, any discussion you have with your provider can be valuable to you in terms of both health and learning. As health professionals we are a resource to provide care, not only for your health issues, but to also promote wellness.