Share page: 

State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements Contact

State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement Coordinator:

B.B. Stotts

Phone: 620-235-4181
Fax: 620-235-4219

1701 South Broadway
Pittsburg, KS 66762

State Authorization Status

On October 29, 2010, the U.S. Department of Education (USDOE) released new “program integrity” regulations. One of the regulations focused on the need for institutions offering distance or correspondence education to acquire authorization from any state in which it "operates.” This authorization is required to maintain eligibility for students of that state to receive federal financial aid. Institutions have until July 1, 2014, to have obtained the appropriate approvals. Meanwhile, institutions are required to demonstrate a 'good faith' effort to comply in each state in which it serves students.

What Pittsburg State University is Doing

PSU is working to evaluate and comply with changes in federal law and will provide up-to-date information as it becomes available. Currently, we are identifying our online students’ states of residence and determining exactly what a state requires—or if, in fact, it requires anything at all. There is a confusing patchwork of state laws; and application of these laws may vary based on factors such as the type of institution or the location of students, faculty, and/or facilities. Some states don’t regulate distance education at all.

State Authorization Status

Alternative content for the map
Alternative content for the legend

Student Complaint Process

Pittsburg State University aims to resolve all student complaints in a fair and expedient manner. Students wishing to file a formal complaint must first seek resolution through institutional grievance procedures. Details can be found at the Equal Opportunity website. Students may also contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action for more information.

If a complaint cannot be resolved internally, students may also file a complaint with the Kansas Board of Regents or with our accrediting body. Out-of-state distance students may follow this link for information about filing consumer complaints with their state authorizing agency.

The Higher Learning Commission
230 South LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500, Chicago, Illinois 60604-1413
Phone: 800.621.7440 / 312.263.0456 . Fax: 312.263.7462 .