Steps to apply and receive financial aid:
- File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online. This application is available January 1st every year for the following fall semester.
- Check your application status. After filing the FAFSA, you will need to follow-up with each university listed on your FAFSA. Each university may require different documentation to verify the information submitted on your FAFSA.
- To see if PSU is requesting any documentation for your financial aid file, you can check your FAFSA Application Status online through your GUS account. If you don't have GUS access, you can contact the Office of Student Financial Assistance (OSFA) to find out if anything is being requested.
- You will need to be admitted to PSU before gaining access to GUS. To apply for Admissions, please contact the Admissions Office.
- If you need assistance logging into GUS, please contact Gorilla Geeks.
- Any missing documentation will cause a delay in receiving your financial aid. Please submit any requested documentation in a timely manner to avoid receiving your financial aid late.
- Check your online Award Letter status. Once your financial aid file is complete, OSFA will create an online Award Letter for you to review and accept your financial aid awards.
- You will receive an email to your GusMail account with instructions on how to view and submit your Award Letter online once it is available.
- You can check your Award Letter status online through GUS.
- You will need to have access to GUS to create a GusMail account. If you need assistance setting up the GusMail account, contact Gorilla Geeks.
- Complete your Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Entrance Counseling online. If you are borrowing a Direct Loan for the first time at PSU, you will need to complete both the MPN and Entrance Counseling online before these funds will be disbursed.
- Verify your enrollment online through GUS. Each semester you are required to verify your enrollment online before any funds will be disbursed to you.
- Make sure that you do not have any University holds on your account that will prevent you from verifying your enrollment and/or disbursing your funds.
- You will need to verify your enrollment before any federal aid or scholarships will be disbursed.
- After the semester has started...
- After you have completed all the steps necessary to apply and receive financial aid, your financial aid monies will be directly applied to any outstanding balance due to PSU for the current semester's tuition and fees and/or on-campus housing.
- If you have a credit balance after your financial aid has been applied, this credit will be given to you as a refund. See the Cashier's and Student Accounts policy on how refunds will be given to students.
- If you are receiving any type of financial aid and are planning on dropping a class or withdrawing from the University, you need to check with OSFA before to find out what effect this will have on your financial aid and future semesters at PSU.
Monitor your GusMail account for correspondence from all PSU administrative offices (Financial Assistance, Registrar's, Cashier's, and Admission's). If you need help setting this account up, please contact Gorilla Geeks.