Share page: 

Financial Aid Disbursement Methods


Office of Cashiers and Student Accounts
1701 S. Broadway
Horace Mann, Room 112
Pittsburg, KS 66762
Phone:  (620) 235-4092
Fax:  (620) 235-6056


Gorilla Card Refund – for use by on-campus students

The Gorilla Card is the official student identification card on campus. The card may also provide access to a free Gorilla Checking Account at Commerce Bank. All excess financial assistance funds, tuition refunds, and other miscellaneous University refunds will be conveniently deposited into this easy-to-use account. To get your Gorilla Card, stop by the Gorilla Card office located in the Overman Student Center.  For additional information, visit

Paper Check Refund - for students unable to obtain a Gorilla Card

Students that are enrolled ONLY for on-line courses and are, therefore, never physically present on campus are not required to obtain a Gorilla Card. These students will receive their refunds in the form of a check issued by the Office of Cashiers and Student Accounts.


Disbursement of Aid

Frequently Asked Questions

How will financial aid pay my university charges?

In most cases, financial aid and scholarships will automatically apply toward current tuition, fees, and housing charges.  If your financial assistance does not cover the total of these charges you must pay the remaining balance by the appropriate due date to avoid late fees. 

What if I have prior year charges due on my accounts?

Any charges from prior semesters must be paid in full before any financial assistance funds can be applied for the current semester charges. 

How will I receive my outside scholarships?

Donors from outside agencies may award scholarships to students.  Donors send these scholarships to PSU in a variety of ways and at varying times throughout the year.  Donors should be encouraged to send scholarship checks directly to the Office of Student Financial Assistance (OSFA).  If the outside scholarship funds are received by the OSFA, and the check does not require a student signature, these funds are applied to your account.  If the student’s signature is required, the OSFA will notify the student to go to the Office of Cashiers and Student Accounts in order to endorse the check.  The check will then be credited to the student's account.  The student is responsible for working with the donor to ensure the funds are sent to PSU.

My financial aid/scholarships awards exceed my university charges.  How will I receive these excess funds?

Once the semester has begun, excess financial aid will be deposited to the student’s Gorilla checking account at Commerce Bank.  Students may access their financial assistance award information through GUS, as well as, their student account information.  Students are required to complete “Verification of Enrollment for Disbursement of Funds” in order for their financial assistance to be applied to their university charges. 

Prior to the beginning of the semester:

If the student meets all requirements*, the available funds will be credited to the students account one day (business day) prior to the start date of the semester.  Any excess funds will then be sent to the student’s Commerce Bank Gorilla account.  These funds should be available the 1st day of the semester. 

Once the semester has begun:

If the student meets all requirements*, the available funds will be credited the following midnight.  Any excess funds will then be sent to the student’s Commerce Bank Gorilla account.  These funds will be available the 2nd business day following the completion of the verification of enrollment. 

For example, verification of enrollment was completed on Monday, August 21st at 9pm.  The funds will credit to the students account approximately 12:01am Tuesday, August 22nd.  The university will send the funds to the student’s Commerce Bank account during business hours on Tuesday, August 22nd.  The funds will then be available to the student on Wednesday, August 23rd. 

If a student is not eligible for a checking account, Commerce Bank will issue the student a Cashier's check (counter check) or prepaid debit card. See the Commerce Bank branch located in the Overman Student Center for more information.

*Requirements for students to meet in order to receive their funds may include the following examples:

  • Completed the "Verification of Enrollment for Disbursement of Funds"
  • No academic holds
  • No prior semester charges due to the University (i.e. tuition, housing, parking fines, health services fees, etc.)
  • Enrolled in the number of credit hours in which the student was awarded
  • Completed Entrance Interview required for student loans
  • Completed master promissory notes for student loans