Pittsburg State University
Credit Card Policy Change & FAQ's
Pittsburg State University now offers three online options for Tuition, Fees, and Housing payments beginning July 31, 2009. All options can be accessed via the student portal at go.pittstate.edu (logging into GUS). These new online options have created the following changes in our credit card policy.
What will change?
- The Cashiers & Student Accounts and Housing offices will no longer accept credit card payments for tuition, fees and housing charges beginning July 31, 2009 for the Fall 2009 semester.
- Instead, credit card payments can be made via the CASHNet SmartPay Payment Service. This service will be available July 31, 2009 by going to the student portal (GUS) go.pittstate.edu and signing in with your PSU ID and password. Informed Decisions Corporation/CASHNet will assess and collect a convenience fee of 2.9% that will be included in the total payment amount. This fee will be charged at the time of processing.
- VISA branded credit cards are no longer accepted for payments made for tuition, fees and housing.
What is CASHNet?
Informed Decisions Corporation, dba CASHNet, is the third party vendor with whom Pittsburg State University has contracted to provide secure online payments.
Why are we using a third party vendor?
PSU has been absorbing the credit card processing fees charged by credit card processors. These fees have been increasing at an alarming rate. Although some colleges and universities have chosen to no longer accept credit or debit cards, we determined it would be a disservice to our University communities if we eliminated them altogether. The vendor, CASHNet, has the expertise in online payment systems to meet all security and privacy issues and meets the banking and credit card industry compliance requirements (PCI-DSS). Our contract with them ensures that the processes are compliant with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and the Gramm-Leach-Bliley (GLB) Act.
How was the 2.9% rate determined?
That rate is determined by our vendor, Informed Decisions Corporation/CASHNet. The convenience fee is charged and collected by Informed Decisions Corporation. (PSU does not control the rate charge or receive any additional proceeds from this service.)
Why is VISA no longer accepted?
VISA's credit card rules will not permit a company/vendor to charge a percentage convenience fee. Also, to accept VISA cards, VISA would require the University to apply a convenience fee for eCheck (ACH) transactions rather than eChecks (ACH) being a free service to the student or authorized payer.
Are other colleges and universities making similar changes?
Yes. Kansas State University, the University of Kansas, Wichita State University and Emporia State University have all implemented this change.
Can I pay my tuition, fees and housing with a credit card?
American Express, Discover and MasterCard can be used to pay student charges online. If you use a credit card to pay your bill, a 2.9% convenience fee will be charged by and payable to Informed Decision Corporation. You will not be charged a fee if you pay online using the eCheck option.
How can I pay my bill?
- Online: You can pay online through the student portal go.pittstate.edu (logging into GUS) using eCheck (at no cost), or by credit card (American Express, Discover, or MasterCard). If you use a credit card you will be charged a 2.9% convenience fee by Informed Decisions Corporation. You will not be charged a fee if you pay online by eCheck (ACH). In addition, students will now be able to designate parents, grandparents, etc., as Authorized Payers who can pay online through CASHNet.
- By Mail: If you wish to pay by paper check, please include your PSU ID on the bottom of the check to insure the amount is posted to your account. Mail your payment to Pittsburg State University, Cashiers & Student Accounts Office, 1701 S. Broadway, Pittsburg, KS 66762-7536. We cannot accept or process credit card information through the mail.
- In Person: You can pay in person by cash or check at the Office of Cashiers & Student Accounts, Room 112 Horace Mann, during normal business hours. The cashiers cannot accept in-person credit or debit card payments. However, kiosk computers will be available in Horace Mann (Cashiers & Student Accounts Office) for those needing assistance with the online payment process.
Can I use any type of check as an eCheck?
Almost; only checks from U.S. banks, savings and loan and credit union checking accounts will be accepted. If you wish to pay by paper check, please include your PSU ID number on the bottom of the check to insure the amount is posted to your account.
What if I use my debit card and I don't have paper checks?
You can avoid paying the 2.9% convenience fee by opting for the FREE eCheck (ACH) option. Simply input your bank account and routing numbers to CASHNet's secure online system by going to the student portal (logging into GUS) and signing in with your PSU ID and password. All debit cards utilize a checking or savings bank account. If you do not know your bank account and routing numbers, contact your bank for this information.
How can I pay my account online?
You can pay online from any computer that you feel has secure internet access, for example from home. The PSU cashiers will not be able to process your online credit card payments in Horace Mann; however, the cashier will be able to direct you to a computer for you to use to process your payment securely online.
What if I am unable to pay my tuition in full? Does PSU offer a Tuition payment plan?
Yes. PSU offers a tuition payment plan. The cost of the plan is $25 per semester. By signing up for the plan by August 5th for the Fall semester or by January 5th for the Spring semester, you may make four (4) installment payments. Enrollment after these dates may require a larger initial payment.
I do not feel comfortable making payments online. How should I pay my bill?
If you wish to pay by paper check, please include your PSU ID number on the bottom of the check to insure the amount is posted to your account. Mail your payment to Pittsburg State University, Office of Cashiers & Student Accounts, 1701 S. Broadway, Pittsburg, KS 66762-7536. We cannot accept or process credit card information through the mail or by phone. We hope that you will try the online eCheck (ACH) payment feature. It is quick, convenient, secure, and you will not have to pay postage or check fees.