Credential File Frequently Asked Questions
What is a credential file?
A credential file is a packet of background information that is sent to prospective employers when a candidate is applying for a position. The file may consist of the following:
- Credential File Release Form
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Unofficial PSU Transcript
- Letters of Recommendation (Open or Confidential)
- Student Teaching Evaluations
- Copy of Teaching Licensure
Who should have a credential file?
- Educational employers are the primary users of credential files. Candidates applying for positions in schools, colleges and universities should have files. Files are most frequently established for elementary and secondary school teachers, special education teachers, school administrators, college teachers and professors, school guidance counselors, school social workers, school psychologists and any other specialty area used by schools. Students applying to graduate school may also use a credential file.
- Candidates applying for jobs in business, private industry or government should keep a typed list of references to be supplied to employers upon request. The list should include names, titles, business addresses, email address, and phone numbers of at least three people who will support your application. A credential file is generally not used for these employers, but a candidate may establish a file if they so desire.
How do I set up a credential file?
If you are a new graduate in the College of Education, our office will help you setup your credential file. To set up the file, you will need to fill out a Credential Release Form Request for Service and Unofficial Transcript Request Form. Please bring these forms by our office in 203 Horace Mann, or mail them to:
Pittsburg State University
1701 S. Broadway
Pittsburg, KS 66762-7522
Can I just keep my credit card information on file, or can you bill me?
No. The Career Services Office does not keep credit card information on file. We cannot bill you either. You must make payment before your file can be sent out.
How do I send out my credential file?
All credential requests must be submitted in writing accompanied with payment to the Career Services office. No phone requests. Request forms are available in our office, online, and you should receive one in your credential packet. However, you may also send a letter or email to request to have your credentials sent to an employer. You may also submit your request online.
Please include the following information in your request:
- Full Name
- Current Address
- Daytime Phone Number
- PSU Student ID Number
- Contact Person's Name
- Name of Institution
- Address of Institution
Career Services Pittsburg State University 1701 S. Broadway Pittsburg, KS 66762-7522
When requesting credentials, it is important to begin early. Don't wait until the last minute. Generally we have a 24-hour turn-around time to get credentials in the mail. However, in our peak season (March-May), it may take up to 72 hours to get credentials in the mail. Please note there are no hand deliveries of confidential files to an employer.
What fees are involved with sending out my file?
- Mailed: $5.00/set
- Emailed: $5.00 / up to 5 email addresses in a request
What is the difference between an Open and Confidential Recommendation?
- Open Recommendations are available for those candidates who wish to read their recommendation letters. All letters of recommendation must be accompanied by the Open Recommendation Sheet. The Open Recommendation Sheet MUST be signed by both the candidate and the reference writer. We will not be able to add the letter to your file until these steps are completed.
- Confidential Recommendations are available for those who choose to have a closed file, and not see their reference letters. All confidential letters of recommendation must be accompanied by the Confidential Recommendation Sheet. The Confidential Recommendation Sheet MUST be signed by both the candidate and the reference writer. We will not be able to add the letter to your file until these steps are completed. A confidential recommendation must be hand-delivered or mailed by the reference writer.
Please call the Career Services Office at (620) 235-4140 or email email@example.com.