Student Prevention and Wellness, a component of Campus Activities, utilizes responsible decision making, harm reduction, social norming, environmental management and peer health education as its primary prevention models. We provide a comprehensive, campus-wide, year-long prevention and wellness approach that begins during orientation and continues throughout the year. Programs are presented in academic classrooms, fraternity and sorority houses, and residence halls. In addition, various publications, educational posters and displays are used to promote prevention and wellness issues.
The office plans on-going activities and events that support prevention and wellness as it relates to issues such as nutrition, mental health, self-esteem, stress-reduction, healthy relationships, alcohol and drug abuse, eating disorders, tobacco cessation, depression and suicide.
SafeRide/Gus Bus/ P.A.C.T. Plus
SEK-CAP provides a van and a Kansas Department of Transportation trained and certified driver for the PSU SafeRide program Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday & Saturday 11 p.m. – 2:30 a.m. Rides are provided in the Frontenac – Pittsburg area. Because SEK-CAP also runs the Pittsburg Area Call 719-0135 and look for the grey Windstar van with the "CHOICES" sign in the front and "PSU SafeRide" signs on the sides.
The GUS BUS will operate Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights, 11 p.m. – 3 a.m. starting on January 17 (see map attached). Students along this route can expect the GUS BUS every 30 minutes. Please note: the GUS BUS does not replace the SafeRide service accessed by calling 719-0135 Wednesday – Saturday nights 11 p.m. – 2:30 a.m. but the SafeRide driver may suggest you to catch the GUS BUS if you’re on, or near, the fixed route, as it is intended to free up the SafeRide van to provide rides to those not on the bus route.
- Park & Broadway 8. Bowen, Trout, Tanner Halls
- PSU & Broadway 9. Crimson Commons
- Dellinger & Nation Halls 10. Washington & Joplin
- Chatters 11. McCarthy’s Pub
- Summerfield 12. Bubba’s 311 Pub
- Crimson Villas 13. 6th & Broadway
- Axe Library 14. 5th & Broadway
Students can plan ahead by calling 687-4278 for a free ride anywhere in the Frontenac-Pittsburg area on the P.A.C.T. Plus Bus. from 9pm-11pm and thereby not have to worry about leaving their car behind when using saferide for a ride home from a bar or party. For more information, contact J.T. Knoll at 235-4062 or email@example.com.
Some examples of valid SafeRide/Gus Bus/ P.A.C.T. Plus uses
• Getting to a safe location after a car breakdown within city limits.
• You have been studying late at the Library and there is no alternative to getting back to your residence unless you walk by yourself.
• You are out with friends. Somehow, you get separated and have no alternative but to walk home alone or accept a ride with people you have just met.
• Your date (friend or acquaintance) becomes difficult and you need a ride back to your residence hall.
• It's 11:30 p.m. and you need a ride to your residence hall on campus.
• You're at a party in town or an area bar and you know you’ve had too much to drink to drive or walk home alone safely.
SafeRide/Gus Bus/ P.A.C.T. Plus Etiquette
• Please be respectful to the driver, vehicle, and other passengers at all times.
• Be ready to go when your vehicle arrives and enter and exit your vehicle promptly, every minute you keep our driver waiting is another minute the person after you has to wait.
• Clean up after yourself. Do not leave any garbage in the vehicle and make sure you have all your possessions before exiting, especially your keys and cell phone.
• If for whatever reason you can't make your pickup, please call us, to reschedule or cancel it. By not showing up you are wasting a ride that somebody else could have used.
Please contact Tambree Wilson- Student Coordinator firstname.lastname@example.org or J.T. Knoll at 620-235-4062 or by email at email@example.com for more information. Or stop by our office - 105 lower level Overman.