Benefits of the Presidential Emerging Leaders Program
Members of the Presidential Emerging Leaders Program will gain the following:
- Experience working with and meeting other students with interests in leadership
- Opportunities to assess and develop their own abilities and utilize these skills in practical leadership situations
- Opportunities to work and interact with faculty, staff, and other community leaders in out-of-class experiences
- Self-confidence in their own skills to be successful after graduation in their own
careers and communities.
- Academic credit toward a leadership minor
- Infuse new ideas into your organization
- Build a stronger resume
Conferences and Opportunities
Members of the Presidential Emerging Leaders Program have been selected to represent the program and the University at several regional and national conferences.
- Kansas Student Leadership Forum on Faith and Values
- Other conferences as associated with organizations
- Members of the program coordinate, plan and facilitate an on-campus leadership conference. Basic Leadership Training (BLT)
- Kansas Health Foundation Community Leadership Initiatives
- AAUW National conference for college women student leaders
In May 2001, six members of the program traveled to Portugal to experience a new culture, learn how to lead in a different environment, and develop relationships at Universities across the country. Future study abroad opportunities are being discussed and depend on student interest.
One requirement of the program is to complete community service hours each year. The following are recent projects or sites at which members of the program have participated.
- Restoration of Yale Cemetery
- Renovation of Carver League
- Annual Into the Streets community cleanup
- Youth Friends
- Blood Drives
- Hearts and Hammers
The application process for the new PELP class is currently underway. Please click here to download the application. Completed applications are due by July 31, 2013. Submission information is on the application.
Questions or comments about the Presidential Emerging Leaders Program?
Contact David Adams at email@example.com or (620) 235-4795.