On February 21, 1903, Governor William J. Bailey signed the bill creating the Kansas State Manual Training Normal School Auxiliary, the first name of what is today Pittsburg State University. Classes began the following September in the city-owned Central School building at the northwest corner of Fifth and Walnut. Very soon the growing enrollment created a need for a larger facility. Senator Ebenezer F. Porter of Pittsburg led a successful fight for a building appropriation with the assistance of Principal Russell Station Russ, the faculty, and community leaders. After the funding bill was passed, Clarence Price, then mayor of Pittsburg, was fined a barrel of apples for lobbying on the floor of the legislature. Senator Porter, it should be noted, graciously donated two boxes of cigars to the House for passing the bill. Upon their triumphal return to Pittsburg, the story of the fine was told. In those days, students were disciplined for their absences. In the spirit of the celebration, Principal Russ and members of his faculty were fined a barrel of apples by the students because they had been gone to Topeka to help lobby. Thus, with the funding of the building we now call Russ Hall by the Kansas Legislature, the tradition of Apple Day was established in 1907.
Dessert drop off between 8:00 am and 10:00 am in the Campus Activities Center