Work continues this week both inside and outside of Pittsburg State University's Hughes Hall, home to the College of Education. On the inside, workers are replacing heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems that serve the second and third floors. From the outside, other crews are installing new, more efficient windows.
The workers are racing against a clock that began ticking with the end of the spring semester. The goal is for all of the work to be done in time for the beginning of the fall semester in mid-August. In the meantime, offices and faculty who are teaching summer classes have been relocated to Whitesitt Hall.
The work on Hughes Hall totals more than $1.1 million and is being paid for with funds from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act.
Hughes Hall was named in honor of Rees Hopkins Hughes, the second president of the university and a professor of education and psychology. Hughes served as president from 1941 until 1957 and retired from the university in 1961. Hughes Hall was completed in 1962 at a cost of $475,000.
©2011 Pittsburg State University