Department of Social Sciences
International Studies Program
What is International Studies?
The International Studies Major is an interdisciplinary Bachelor of Arts program that is designed to give students a core of knowledge and the basic skills necessary to live in an increasingly interconnected world. The core of the program is drawn primarily from Political Science, History, and Geography. However, Economics, Management and MArketing, and Communication make significant contributions. Students may choose a second major from the College of Arts & Sciences or a minor from the Colleges of Business or Technology.
What is the Mission of the International Studies Program at PSU?
Pittsburg State University's mission statement affirms:
"The university recognizes the world as interdependent and, thus, seeks to promote a broad and interactive international perspective."
The International Studies Major is unique becuase it is part of Pittsburg State University's on-going effort to promote a broad international perspective. This perspective allows students to pursue international academic interests systematically and provides structured opportunities to develop skills and contacts useful to them in their career. The mission of the International Studies Program (Major or Minor) is to:
- Provide high-quality in-depth education in international affairs
- Cultivate foreign language and inter-cultural communication skills
- Offer opportunities for study abroad
- Enhance students' vocational skills in an increasingly interconnected world
- Encourge an intellectual climate that cultivates curiosity, tolerance, and eagerness to learn about the world
- Program Director: Paul Zagorski (email@example.com)