Pittsburg State University's department of Family and Consumer Sciences Teacher Education program has served Kansas, the region and nation since the early 1900's.
This program continues to serve the public by providing competent, caring and committed FACS teachers. Today, our program experiences annual growth in the number of graduates. Our graduates can be found teaching in schools throughout the Midwestern U.S. and as far away as Greece.
- If you want to become the kind of person that others look up to, become a Family and Consumer Sciences Teacher.
- If you want a 100% chance of a great career after graduation, become a Family and Consumer Sciences Teacher
The average salary of Kansas Teachers was $38,030 annually in 2002-03. The average beginning salary of Kansas teachers was $28,000 - $32,000. Teachers have good benefit packages and a schedule that is conducive to enjoying an active family lifestyle.
The demand for FACS teachers is very high. There are only FACS teacher education programs in the state of Kansas.
Therefore, FACS education graduates are in high demand.
Check out the following links for additional information about our program.
- Grads and where they are teaching
- KSDE Standards for Teacher Education
- KSDE/NCATE Matrix
- Admission to Teacher Education
- PSU FACS Teacher Education Program Guide
- Kansas Program Standards for secondary programs
- Photos from Teacher Education
- The American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences
- Family Career and Community Leaders of America
- Association for Career and Technical Education
- FCS Education Vision and Mission Statement
For more information:
Cris Elliott, Teacher Education