The PSU English Department is an enjoyable place to learn, to work, and to create friendships and networks that last long beyond college years. We have nineteen full-time faculty members with diverse areas of study, several part-time faculty and a dedicated office staff. Our degree programs launch well-rounded readers and writers into their professional lives. Our facilities encourage students to work one-on-one with peer tutors and professors. Our departmental activities contribute to the friendly atmosphere we value.
The mission of the English Department is
- To foster students' reading skills through extensive study of literary texts.
- To develop students' logical, creative, and critical thinking skills through application of methods of analysis to the interpretation of literary texts.
- To enhance students' writing skills through instruction and practice in analytical, practical, and creative approaches to writing.
- To increase students' knowledge of the structure and history of the English language.
- To increase students' awareness and appreciation of the aesthetic aspects of language and of literary genres and forms.
- To enhance students' exploration of individual, gender, ethnic, and cultural diversity through study of literature and language.
To carry out these aims, the Department provides quality bachelors and masters degree programs in literature, language, and writing, for English majors and minors, including middle–and secondary school teacher education students and masters students in the community college teaching emphasis.
The Department also offers academic support courses in technical writing and general education, including composition and literature for non–majors, and has the responsibility of staffing and/or supporting the following:
- Distinguished Visiting Writers Series
- Grubbs Hall Computer Classroom
- Writing–across–the–Curriculum Program
- Writing Center
- campus student literary magazine
- student organizations (Sigma Tau Delta English Honorary Society).
To insure the health and continuity of its programs, the Department supports the efforts of its faculty in their pursuit of excellence in
- research, writing (scholarly, critical, technical, creative), presentation, and publication
- service to the university, the profession, and to society at large.
To allow the faculty and students involved in English Department programs to achieve their potentials, the Department is committed to principles which provide optimum opportunities for freedom of expression, personal and professional fulfillment, intellectual development, and aesthetic, ethical, emotional, and social growth.