Educational Objectives - Revised March 2009
Graduates for the Plastics Engineering Technology program at Pittsburg State University will have the ability to:
Objective 1: Support and manage plastic manufacturing operations including product development, plastics processing, project management, equipment selection, tooling selection.
Objective 2: Work effectively in diverse teams and as individuals.
Objective 3: Use appropriate scientific/mathematical and computational skills necessary for plastics applications.
Objective 4: Use oral, graphical, and written communication skills to present and exchange information effectively, and to direct plastics processing operations.
Objective 5: Think critically and identify, evaluate and solve complex technical and non-technical problems.
Objective 6: Understand and apply professional, ethical, and quality standards of excellence consistent with the plastics industry (SPE Code of Ethics).
Educational Outcomes - Revised March 2009
Each Plastics Engineering Technology graduate will be able to demonstrate desired attributes before graduation (related to the ETAC/ABET Criteria 3 a-k). The graduate will have:
a. an ability to select and apply the knowledge, techniques, skills, and modern tools of the discipline to broadly-defined engineering technology activities common to the plastics industry;
b. an ability to select and apply a knowledge of mathematics, chemistry, physics, and technology to engineering technology problems that require the application of principles and applied procedures or methodologies;
c. an ability to conduct standard tests and measurements; to conduct, analyze, and interpret experiments; and to apply experimental results to improve processes;
d. an ability to design systems, components, or processes for broadly-defined engineering technology problems appropriate to program educational objectives;
e. an ability to function effectively as a member or leader on a technical team;
f. an ability to identify, analyze, and solve broadly-defined engineering technology problems;
g. an ability to apply written, oral, and graphical communication in both technical and nontechnical environments; and an ability to identify and use appropriate technical literature;
h. an understanding of the need for and an ability to engage in self-directed continuing professional development;
i. an understanding of and a commitment to address professional and ethical responsibilities including a respect for diversity;
j. a knowledge of the impact of engineering technology solutions in a societal and global context; and
k. a commitment to quality, timeliness, and continuous improvement.
Academic Unit: Plastics Engineering Technology
Strategic Planning Document
Mission: To provide plastics graduates for industry who are prepared to use their knowledge and skills of plastic materials, processes and related technology.
Vision Statement: It is the vision of the Plastics ETECH Program to provide the students with a quality education that will prepare them for a successful career in the Plastics industry.
Goal 1: To establish the PSU Plastics ETECH program as a leader in Plastics Engineering Technology education.
- Objective 1.1 - To provide students with the best and most current knowledge of plastics materials, processes and related technologies.
- Objectives 1.2 - To seek and establish additional funding for program needs from administration, alumni, and through seminars.
- Objective 1.3 - To encourage industrial contacts and alumni to share their knowledge with students through guest lectures, lab demos, and planned tours.
- Objective 1.4 - To continue to strive for 100% job placement.
- Objective 1.5 - To maintain operational and current laboratories.
Goal 2: To market and promote the Plastics' ETECH program with a continuous recruitment effort and an emphasis on retention.
- Objective 2.1 - To recruit prospective students using alumni.
- Objective 2.2 - To market program to high school and community college transfers.
- Objective 2.3 - To promote mentoring of students.
- Objective 2.4 - To develop and transfer of program promotional material to prospective students.
- Objective 2.5 - To promote mentoring of students.
- Objective 2.6 - To establish an informative web site on the program.
Goal 3: To increase efforts to acquire external funding, as well as provide state of the art equipment for student use.
- Objective 3.1 - To increase contact and recruitment of plastics' companies to provide equipment and/or materials as a gift and/or loan.
- Objective 3.2 - To provide technical seminars for industry on current advances and practices to provide funding for labs and other student needs.
- Objective 3.3 - To continue the relationships with SPE and SAMPE and their respective chapters in providing scholarships.
- Objective 3.4 - Solicit donations from alumni though newsletters/ direct contact.
Goal 4: To solicit industrial feedback to ensure that graduates are performing at the optimum work level.
- Objective 4.1 - To conduct advisory board meetings twice a year and promote additional contact between meeting- get members involved.
- Objective 4.2 - To maintain records of student feedback from e-mail, phone, and personal visits.
- Objective 4.3 - To maintain records of Industrial/ employer feedback.
- Objective 4.4 - To develop additional industry sponsored Research/Projects for students (Capstone Course.)
Goal 5: To maintain ETAC/ABET accreditation.
- Objective 5.1 - To continuously review PSU plastics program for compliance with ETAC/ABET standards and recommendations. Access goals and objectives of each course.
- Objective 5.2 - To review curriculum for currency and relevancy.
- Objective 5.3 - To conduct Research/industry support projects for interested faculty and students. (Senior Projects)
- Objective 5.4 - To encourage and seek support for faculty development from university administration and industrial supporters.