Dr. Bienvenido Cortes
Chair, Department of Economics, Finance and Banking
Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Managerial Issues, (2008-present)
Office: 211B Kelce
Education and Professional Credentials
- Ph.D., Oklahoma State University, 1987 - International Economics and Development
- M.A., Wichita State University, 1980 - Economics
- B.S., University of the Philippines, 1977 - Business Economics
Recent Journal Publications
Cortes, B. forthcoming. "Impact of Small Business Lending on State-level Economic Performance: A Panel Data Analysis," International Journal of Business and Finance Research.
Cortes, B. May 2009. "The Regional Effects of Japanese Monetary Policy", The Keizai Gaku, Annual Report of the Economic Society of Tohoku University, Japan, Vol. 70, No. 1, pp. 1-11.
Cortes, B. and Anil Lal, "An Analysis of Attitudes Toward Foreign Trade," The Journal of Economics and Economic Education Research, Volume 9, Number 3, 2008, pp. 101-115.
Cortes, B., Danfeng Kong, and Qin Dazhong. December 2007. "Regional Effects of Chinese Monetary Policy: 1980-2004", Journal of Financial Research. Volume 12, No. 330.
Cortes, B. and Danfeng Kong. 2007. "Regional Effects of Chinese Monetary Policy", The International Journal of Economic Policy Studies. Volume 2.
Cortes, B. and Danfeng Kong. 2006. "Regional Effects of Chinese Monetary Policy," JEPA Program and Proceedings of Abstracts (Peer Reviewed), Japan.
Cortes, B. 2005. "Competition and Export Performance in Japan," COE/JEPA Joint International Conference Proceedings of Abstracts (Peer Reviewed) and Program, Japan.
Cortes, B. 2005. "Environmental Regulations and Regional Economic Growth in China," The E-Global Age, New Economy, and China: A Close Up, Pan-Pacific Conference XXII Proceedings.\
Cortes, B. 2009. Revised PowerPoint Presentation Slides prepared for Steven Husted and Michael Melvin's International Economics, 8th ed., Pearson: Addison-Wesley.
Cortes, B. 2007. "Competition and Growth: Reconciling Theory and Evidence by Philippe Aghion", The Journal of Economics. 33(1): 87-89.
Cortes, B. 2006. PowerPoint Presentation Slides prepared for Steven Husted and Michael Melvin's International Economics, 7th ed., Pearson: Addison-Wesley.
Cortes, B. and Anil Lal. 2005. Economic Impact of a Destination Casino in Galena, Kansas. Study funded by Kansans for Economic Growth, LLC.
Cortes, B. 2000. "Went to Camp: An Economist's Perspective," Asian Studies in America: Newsletter of the Asian Studies Development Program, No. 13, p.5.
Recent Papers Presented
Cortes, B. 2010. "Impact of Small Business Lending on State-level Economic Performance: A Panel Data Analysis,"Global Conference on Business and Finance (IBFR), Hawaii (January).
Cortes, B. 2008. "Regional Heterogeneity and the Effectiveness of Japanese Monetary Policy," Japan Economic Policy Association 7th International Conference, Kyoto, Japan (December).
Cortes, B. 2008. "The Role of Money in the Monetary Policy of the Philippines," 11th International Convention of the East Asian Economic Association, Manila, Philippines (November).
Cortes, B. 2008. "The Impact of Small Business Administration Loans on Local Economic Performance in Kansas,"Missouri Valley Economic Association Conference, St. Louis (October).
Cortes, B. 2007. "The Regional Effects of Japanese Monetary Policy", Japan Economic Policy Association 6th International Conference, Tokyo, Japan (December).
Cortes, B. 2007. "Monetary Policy and Japanese Regional Heterogeneity", Missouri Valley Economics Association Conference. Kansas City (October).
Research in Progress
- Determinants of Regional Employment Volatility in Taiwan
- Monetary Policy (Japan, China, and the Philippines) and Regional Effects
- Economic Impact Study of Certified Development Companies and Small Business Loans
- Casino Economics: A Pedagogical Tool
- County Economic Growth in Kansas
Professional Activities and Honors
- East Asian Economics Association
- Japan Economic Policy Association
- Missouri Valley Economic Association
- National Social Science Association
- Academy of Economics and Finance
- American Society of Business and Behavioral Sciences
- American Association of Behavioral and Social Sciences
- Beta Gamma Sigma business honors society
- Outstanding Research Award, IBFR Global Conference on Business and Finance, Hawaii, 2010.
- Visiting Lecturer, Chung Yuan Christian University, Taiwan, 2009
- Fulbright Visiting Lecturer, Tohoku University, 2001-2002
- Who's Who in Business Higher Education, 2003
- Participant, European Union faculty seminar, 2004
- Participant, East-West Center field seminar on Pearl River Delta, 2001
- Participant, East-West Center seminar on Infusing Asian Studies, 2000
- Global Who's Who of Economists, 2000
- Certificate of Recognition for Excellence in Teaching, 2000-2001
- Certificate of Recognition for Excellence in Teaching, 1991-1992
- Editor-in-Chief, The Journal of Managerial Issues
- Member, Strategic Academic Resource & Policy Team Committee, Kansas Inc.
- Consultant for economic impact study
- Textbook supplements writer for publishing company (Pearson Higher Education)
- Grant writer
- Book reviewer
- Reviewer for the Review of Industrial Organization
- Discussant at professional conferences
- Conference session chair
- Active member of Sunflower Kiwanis of Pittsburg