Share page: 

Teacher Licensing Contact

Amanda Hill
PSU Educational Licensing Officer

Phone:  620-235-6153
Office:  Hughes 110

Alternative License

Pittsburg State University has an alternative licensing program, a 36-hour Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) degree with two emphases.  The first emphasis is Secondary for qualified applicants who hold a bachelor's degree or higher in a secondary content area they wish to teach.  Subject areas for which PSU has approved programs include art, biology, chemistry, English, family and consumer science, French, history, mathematics, music, physical education, physics, Spanish, technology and speech/theater.  PSU does not have approved programs in business or journalism.  PSU's MAT degree program for secondary content areas is an online degree.

The second emphasis is Special Education (MAT-SPED) to teach High-Incidence Special Education at the secondary level for qualified applicants. The MAT-SPED degree program is completely online. 

Both programs are available to view on Pitt State's Online Catalog.

Who is eligible to apply?

If you hold a bachelor's degree with a major in one of the noted subject areas or believe that you may have all program equivalencies for a specific area, you may apply for the MAT - Secondary program.  If you hold a bachelor's degree and are employed as a paraprofessional in a high-incidence special education setting in a recognized accredited school, you may apply for the MAT - Special Education program.  Your first step is to apply for Graduate School admission.

You may access an online application for Graduate School admission on the PSU website at Graduate and Continuing Studies Office page .  Official transcripts must be submitted from all colleges or universities attended and your transcripts will be evaluated to determine your eligibility to continue the admission process.  Notification of your next step in the admission process will be provided if you are determined eligible to continue.  If you are determined ineligible (i.e., insufficient subject area background, grade point issues, etc.), you will be notified via a letter from the Director of Teacher Education.

The MAT degree program is offered through the College of Education's Department of Teaching and Leadership.  The department may be reached by telephone at 620-235-4508 or by e-mail at