The Goals of PSU KNEA (Pittsburg State University-Kansas National Education Association) Shall Be:
- To promote better educational opportunities for all students and to elevate the quality of instruction;
- To develop and promote the adoption of such ethical practices, personnel policies, and standards of preparation and participation as mark a profession;
- To develop and promote a continuing program to advance instruction by improving salaries and fringe benefits, by upgrading professional preparation, and by improving working conditions for all members of the faculty through formal negotiations with the governing body of Pittsburg State University;
- To enable members to speak with a common voice on matters pertaining to the teaching profession and to present their individual and common interests;
- To help educators develop an awareness of their privileges and responsibilities as citizens.
PSU KNEA President Ananda Jawardhana receives the Kansas Conference of the AAUP (American Association of University Professors) Sound Governance Award, from Ronald Barrett-Gonzales, president-elect of the State of Kansas Conference of the AAUP. Pictured receiving the award is Dr. Lynette Olson, Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs; Dr. Ronald Barrett-Gonzales, Associate Professor Aerospace Engineering at the University of Kansas; Dr. Steven Scott, PSU President; Dr. Peter Chung, President, PSU Faculty Senate; and Dr. Ananda Jayawardhana.
For more information visit the PSU Web Site for press release information. Photo credit: Malcolm Turner.
Karen Godfrey, KNEA President, meets with members of the PSU/KNEA student chapter for a discussion in Hughes Hall on November 14, 2012.
What We Do
1. Work for quality education at PSU.
2. Continue to advocate for faculty rights.
3. Negotiate for fair employment practices.
4. Work to ensure academic freedom and other fundamental concepts of the profession.
5. Bargain for fair rates of compensation.
6. Bargain for the ‘unit’ in contract negotiations for all things considered ‘conditions of employment’.
7. Publicly defend and represent the faculty, assisting the ‘unit’ in grievance issues. We sincerely hope that you will not have need of this service.
1. It is the professional teacher's organization.
2. Because you, like KNEA, want quality schools for all ages and levels.
3. We can also assist with obtaining legal advice and provide an attorney-referral program for non-job related issues.
4. For all the reasons above and so much more.
Did you know?
1. All faculty promotion dollars and contractual travel funds are negotiated by PSU-KNEA.
2. The negotiation of intellectual property rights was protected in a case argued by PSU-KNEA at the Kansas Supreme Court.
3. Moving PSU faculty salaries from the lowest in the state system to number 4 is the result of PSU-KNEA bargaining.
4. A grievance procedure where faculty can make their case to peers is the result of PSU-KNEA bargaining.
Space for this page has been provided as a courtesy by Pittsburg State University.
NEA/KNEA Member Benefits provides a wide range of programs that help improve the overall quality of life for members and their families. From affordable insurance and secure investments, to advance technology and convenient, accessible credit, NEA/KNEA Member Benefits programs can help members get significantly more out of life and their hard-earned dollars.
1. Life Insurance Programs
2. Health and Disability Insurance Programs
3. Casualty Insurance
4. Savings and Investment Programs
5. Credit Programs
6. Special Discount Programs
7. Loan Programs
8. Member Education Guides
9. NEA/KNEA Attorney Referral Program
10. We provide liability insurance protection plus access to specially trained staff and KNEA attorneys should you ever find yourself with job-related legal trouble.
11. KNEA's Access to Savings Plan offering a variety of discounts and savings opportunities at business across the state and region.
12. NEA DUES-TAB® Insurance. Provides up to $1,000 of FREE life insurance coverage and up to $5,000 of accidental death and dismemberment coverage to eligible members. All at no cost to the NEA member.