Autism Spectrum Disorders

Autism Spectrum Disorders Certificate

Online Program

Autism Spectrum Disorders Certificate Online

The Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) Certificate is designed to certify that participants have specialized knowledge and skills regarding the characteristics and methods of assessment and teaching individuals with ASD.  This graduate certificate includes three strands: Classic Autism, Higher Functioning Autism, and Early Childhood Autism.  Through a combination of coursework including sensory and motor issues, assessment, characteristics, curriculum development and social and behavioral interventions, graduates become outstanding professional educators who serve students on the autism spectrum and their families. 

Why Pitt State?

The Autism Spectrum Disorder certificate consists of 18 graduate credit hours completely online. Candidates may take an additional 3 hours to earn a dual certificate in classic autism and higher functioning autism. The 18 hour program includes one strand in early childhood and includes a dual certificate in both early childhood and classic autism.

The early childhood coursework was developed in collaboration with professionals from the TASN-Autism and Tertiary Behavior Supports, KU Med - Center for Child Health and Development, Kansas Parent Information Resource Center, Families Together, Inc., Kansas Center For Autism Research and Training, Kansas early childhood special educators, and parents.

 This program is open to candidates outside of Kansas and those living internationally. Non-native English speaking candidates must submit a passing TOFEL score at the time of application. The state of Kansas does not offer an Autism teaching license or an endorsement to a teaching license for Autism.

Career Options

Teaching and working with children and students on the autism spectrum is identified nationally and in Kansas as a high need field.  Graduates of the ASD Certificate program leave with the knowledge, skills, and strategies required to enhance their ability as a:

  • Teacher – early childhood, general or special education (teaching license required)
  • Counselor– school counselor, family counselor (teaching or other license required_
  • Psychologist– school psychologist (license required)
  • Art therapist
  • Music therapist
  • Advocate for children/students on the autism spectrum


View Classes
Share this page